Oxine question need quick answer please!

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Pretty sure our old Silkie roo, Tweety, has Canker. I will know for sure tomorrow when I can get someone to hold him so I can look in his mouth, but he has all the other symptoms. I want to get some non activated Oxine to help with clean up,and maybe put a little in his water, as it is supposed to work well to help get rid of the Canker fungus. I used to be able to get it in a smaller bottle than a gallon, but can't find it in the smaller bottles anymore. If I get a gallon I won't be able to use it all before it starts to get old, and it's expensive. Does anyone know where I could get the smaller bottles? I can't remember for sure, but I think the small bottle was like a quart size.

I

Oh, great thanks! I have Canker tablets, Metronidazole I will start him on those today....they did nothing for our poor hen last year that got it, though. What do you think about using non activated oxine mixed with water to drip in his mouth to help get rid of the lesions? I read that somewhere....

Last edited:
Oh, great thanks! I have Canker tablets, Metronidazole I will start him on those today....they did nothing for our poor hen last year that got it, though. What do you think about using non activated oxine mixed with water to drip in his mouth to help get rid of the lesions? I read that somewhere....
Other diseases can look *just* like canker.

-Kathy

Other diseases can look *just* like canker.

-Kathy

X2. Wet pox can also appear as Canker. There are also some types of canker that are resistant to standard treatments. Proper dosage is important too. The dosage for a standard breed hen is 250 mg, once a day for 5 days. Metronidazole resistant problems have caused folks to use Carnidazole or Ronidazole. Many of these treatments can be found from pigeon supply houses.

There was someone here that had a necropsy done on one of theirs and it was a bacterial infection confirmed by a lab necropsy. Not saying it's not canker, just saying it *might* not be.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

There was someone here that had a necropsy done on one of theirs and it was a bacterial infection confirmed by a lab necropsy. Not saying it's not canker, just saying it *might* not be.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

It's not canker, I'm pretty sure, actually. I looked in his mouth and down his throat with a flashlight this morning, and everything looks perfectly normal, and there's no odor or anything.
He is just very weak, and eats slowly, but seems much improved already from yesterday. I fed him up all day yesterday and he spend some time in the sunshine in his cage.
I noticed some evidence of mites or lice this morning, and I rarely see him dustbathe, so I want to treat him for that. He's just a little guy, maybe a pound or two at most. Can I use Frontline spray on him and how much should i use and how to apply? Or, we have DE, or natural flea drops. That's what we have on hand, or I could go and buy something. Also, he's very low on the pecking order, he's seven years old, (we've had him since a cockerel), and the peahens have been harassing him a lot lately....So maybe some of his problem is stress related. But I know there's something else going on, he normally holds his own, no real problems. Normally the flock doesn't have a problem with parasites that they can't resolve for the most part by dusting. I'd like to use something quicker acting than DE, preferably not Sevin dust.

Last edited:
X2. Wet pox can also appear as Canker. There are also some types of canker that are resistant to standard treatments. Proper dosage is important too. The dosage for a standard breed hen is 250 mg, once a day for 5 days. Metronidazole resistant problems have caused folks to use Carnidazole or Ronidazole. Many of these treatments can be found from pigeon supply houses.

Would you treat wet pox with something else? The hen that died was a favorite, she was a Golden Pencilled Hamburg, 6 years old, and we did have her on the 250 mg dose.
I wonder if she did have wetpox, she had horrible lesions all over her mouth and down her throat.

I would dust him with poultry dust or 5% Sevin Powder and de-worm him *orally* 3-5 days in a row with Safeguard. If he's 1 pound I would give .25ml for 3-5 days, if he's 2 pounds I'd give .5ml for 3-5 days and if he's really thin he should be in a warm room.

-Kathy

X2.  Wet pox can also appear as Canker. There are also some types of canker that are resistant to standard treatments. Proper dosage is important too. The dosage for a standard breed hen is 250 mg, once a day for 5 days. Metronidazole resistant problems have caused folks to use Carnidazole or Ronidazole. Many of these treatments can be found from pigeon supply houses.

Would you treat wet pox with something else?  The hen that died was a favorite, she was a Golden Pencilled Hamburg, 6 years old, and we did have her on the 250 mg dose.
I wonder if she did have wetpox, she had horrible lesions all over her mouth and down her throat. 

Actual wet pox is not really treatable, but I managed to keep mine alive by removing the pus, applying iodine to the lesions and tube feeding.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom