Oxine Use

JoePa

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Lehigh County Pa.
I purchased a gallon of Oxine (sanitizer and disinfectant) some time ago - never used it but understand that this stuff is good for disinfecting your chicken coop - the label says that you should activate the stuff with acid crystals which make it stronger - my question is - can you use it without adding the acid crystals and will it still help disinfecting the coop - also how much would you add to a gallon of water - thanks - Joe

The instructions for using the citric acid should be on the label of the gallon of the Oxine. You need a respirator to use it.
You can use it non-activated as a bacteriostat but won't be as effective and you'll have to use more.

I do not promote using activated Oxine anywhere near animals. That also includes you. Activated it becomes very volatile and can cause a lot of damage to the respiratory system. Non activated is much safer and will still work much to the same extent, the only time I would use activated is if I had confirmed a virus such as Newcastle or Avian Influenza and I had to totally start over.
Shagbark Bantams has an excellent article on using Oxine.
Shagbark Bantams on Oxine

I use it activated to disinfect incubators regularly. I wait till all chicks are moved out and I use a chemical respirator as well as a well ventilated room.

Does anyone make shoe baths with Oxine? I’m contemplating making one to keep by the coops.

I have Oxine but did not buy the activator and I have Tek Trol. How much would you use for a shoe bath? And how often would you switch it out?

Thank you!

There is a section in the following page on applications for non-activated oxine use that may be helpful.
https://www.revivalanimal.com/pet-health/how-to-use-oxine-ah/learning-center
I use it activated to fumigate incubators. In the future I may use it for automatic water systems.
I called Revival Animal Health for guidance and talked to one of their chemists. Perhaps if you call, they can tell you how frequently to change it out.

The Shagbark article says this about fogging (the 1/8th teas per gallon is for water)

"I had nothing to lose since the duck could barely breathe, so I tried it. I used a Tri-Jet fogger and a solution of 6-1/2 ounces of Oxine to a gallon of water as prescribed, and I ‘fogged’ the bird’s face and cage three times daily for ten days. She was cured.

Back
Top Bottom