Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride dosage

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out here. It has started getting cold and the cursed Autumn respiratory infections have started - it happens every year and is a right pain.

One hen is getting a gurgle and sneezing so she needs to be treated quickly before it can get any worse. In the past I have used Oxymav 100 (100g/kg oxytetracycline hydrochloride) added to their water with great success - however it gives everyone horrible yeast problems (sour crop, farvus, etc) so I dont particularly want to medicate the whole flock if necessary. Its much easier to treat one with antibiotics, then treat for yeasts, etc. The soluble dose as per the container is 1kg/450L of water.

Normally I would bring the hen into the house for chicken hospital for treatment however this girl would not cope - she would get stressed being away from the flock so I need to treat her and keep her down there where she is relaxed and happy - so she wont have her own water supply. I am not worried about it spreading through my small flock as I am sure it has already well and truly happened is years passed.

I was hoping that I could mix some of the Oxymav into a concentrated solution and administer orally with a syringe - however cannot find any solid references online to mg/kg dosage for chickens that is not for the drinking water. There are some, but each very different - does anyone have any information or links so I can dose her correctly?

So far I have come across 25mg-40mg per kilo (she is a bantam approx 750g, I will weight her properly before treatment). For reference Doxycycline dosage for her weight would be around 16mg.

Any help would be amazing - thank you :)

Hi,

I don't have any experience regarding Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride dosage - so I won't be of much help - but I found some sources online that perhaps may help you?

I researched a bit online, and I agree a lot of the sources vary tremendously regarding their dosages. From what I've mostly seen these are all either administered subcutaneously or diluted into larger amounts of water or feed (e.g. like in this study https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/605092/).

The only oral dosages I found were online on forums (thus not that credible).
  • 10 mg to 20 mg/kg q8h; PO 2 1.
I did however find this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7152062/, regarding ferrets, where Oxytetracycline was administered in a dosage of 20 mg/kg PO.

Hope this somewhat helps, or others with more knowledge regarding Oxytetracycline are able to help you out more.

I'm unsure of the dosage as I've never used this medication so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. But I wanted to add that since your birds are already carriers then I suggest a monthly treatment with denagard. It can help keep the outbreaks at bay and reduce these moments from happening. Do you know which respiratory infection you are dealing with?

Back
Top Bottom