Oy, helping chicks out of shell

I was just outside in this 100 degree day and my baby chick had chipped away some of the shell but the membrane was dry and stuck to the baby. So i tried to pull away some of the membrane and it was stuck good. We t inside and got a warm wet washcloth and went outside and carefully chipped away more of the shell and use the warm washcloth to help moisten the membrane and it helped. Then I cleaned baby off a little and it ins now under a light it appears very tire and is breathing pretty fast. Time will tell if it lives. Has anyone had any problems with the peeps legs being spread out? And feet curled? If so what is the reason for that ?

Is pipping when the bird pokes it's beak into the air sack? And if so how long after this happens are they supposed to zip? I have 3 duck eggs that show the shadow of a bill in the air cell, but so far non have zipped. They are all wiggling around in there but one has been in the the same position for a couple of days.

I'm a hands off, let nature take its course person. I feel that if the chick isn't strong enough to get out of the shell, it will most likely have problems in the future anyway. I have helped a few times, and it's never ended well. I read on here every day where people jump the gun and "help" too early, ending up killing the chick anyway. I think it's good for your son to want to help, but he does need to know that sometimes chicks are just weak and die no matter what you do. Good luck with your hatch!

I just need to know, is pipping when the bill is in the air cell, and how long after that (approximately) are they supposed to zip. I'm not confident enough to help them out of their shell, because I'm afraid I would just make it worse. My son did put a minor crack in the top of one of the eggs, should I just dump it or can I put something over it and save it.

I just need to know, is pipping when the bill is in the air cell, That's called the internal pip. and how long after that (approximately) are they supposed to zip.Could take up to a day or two, sometimes longer. I'm not confident enough to help them out of their shell, because I'm afraid I would just make it worse. That happens quite often. My son did put a minor crack in the top of one of the eggs, should I just dump it or can I put something over it and save it. I'd just leave it and see what happens. If they're in the air cell, it's time to quit opening the incubator. Leave it shut so the humidity can stabilize. No more touching! Tell your son to look but DON"T TOUCH!

Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times thank you. This is my first hatch, and I have discovered from the cracked egg, that the incubator is a lot safer in my bed room where I can lock the little overly excited children out and keep the ducklings safe. So far the baby is still moving but that is all I can see from shining the flashlight through the windows on the incubator. One of the three eggs is cheeping, not sure which one, but I was surprised I was able to hear it through the incubator lid.

I now have one duckling fully hatched, and a second pipped. I had to open the incubator for 10 seconds to add water, for some reason my humidity dropped dramatically when D1 was born, had this happened to any one else? I read that you leave the duckling alone until the rest hatch, but none of the articals mentioned a possible humidity drop.

Back
Top Bottom