oyster/egg shell eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Suess hens, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I have two 7 1/2 week old EEs, I spotted one of them (unsure still if boy or girl....thought girl, but now just seems to stand more like a roo), anyway found him picking at egg shells the other day. And not just like checking them out, like really eating. Is this normal, okay, should I think it is a girl but older than I thought, but even then it would only be like one week older. I'm so confused.

2. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I read here on this forum that egg shells were an excellent source of calcium which your hens need as they use it to make the shells. I save mine, cook them, and give them back to the hens. Yes the roos get a little nibble of it here and there, I think for the grit rather than the calcium part. Or maybe they're just trying to win points in finding treats for their ladies. [​IMG]

I leave a bowlful out of them and each day they have a little bit.

Yes, normal.

3. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    It's normal. Chickens eat broken eggs.

It does help keep your next boxes clean - the risk, though, is that one of your hens will learn that 1) Broken eggs are good to eat 2) Cracked eggs can be broken open 3) Intact eggs can be cracked.

-Frank Blissett

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by