Oyster shell calcium

katharinad

Overrun with chickens
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Southern Oregon Mountains
So I went to the feed store to get some crushed oyster shell since my female duck is getting close to laying eggs. It's recommended to start offering it 2 weeks prior. 2 weeks is a good one, since nobody knows for sure when. She is 15 weeks old so we are getting there, and she has been playing mom. She has been building nests, putting rocks into them, and sitting on them. I've put up a nesting box with one ceramic training egg in it and she sleeps on it. Its really cute when she covers the fake egg each morning.

Well back to my original post. Feed store had oyster shell for $7. Not bad, but what do you do with 50 pounds of it?
barnie.gif

I have 8 girls and wonder how much they would eat in one year. I was "crushed" and did not buy it. Went to the other store and they had a 5 pound bag for 5 dollars. Lousy deal, but at least I don't have to store 50 pounds of it.

How much do you guys use per year?

I guess you are going through about 100 pounds of feed a month for your eight ducks. At 3% calcium carbonate that would mean that your ducks would consume three pounds a month or 36 pounds a year.

Thanks for the math. I really appreciate it. I guess I could by a large bag, but again store it for that long. Plus oyster shell will smell. I need to find someone to split a bag with in my neighborhood. That way the stuff just doesn't sit around for too long.

I cannot find more than a five pound bag, and would not mind doing so. I had not thought about a smell, though. I am on the other coast, or I would split a bag with you . . . .

Isn't it sweet when they nest and coo over an egg?
love.gif
I have a few wooden ones in their nest boxes and in the nest they made themselves. They much prefer their own duck-made nest (seven in that one, as opposed to one or two in the nest boxes I provide for them).

Thanks, Red Maple,

The nearest feed mill I can find in my state is about 55 miles away. I do get out that way sometimes. And for a year's supply it would be worth it. Just none of the local feed stores carry anything larger. They cater mostly to horse owners, apparently, though they do carry some poultry supplies and feed.

Back
Top Bottom