Oyster shell question

Hi!! Oyster shells won’t make them lay in my experience. I’ve had hens lay at 18 weeks, it all just depends depends on the bird. I’ve only had bad experiences with oyster shells that are store bought, but I’ve never made my own. Best of luck!
What bad experience?? We bought a small bag if oyster shells (don’t recall where), they liked them. Bought a big bag at TSC & they won’t touch them, and smells like bleach!

I think we’re going to be just crushing their own egg shells & mixing them into their all-flock mush which they love.

I would offer the eggshells separately, so they can choose how much to eat.

Also, just their own eggshells will not provide enough calcium.

The amount of calcium in one eggshell is about half the amount a hen is supposed to get each day. And all-flock tends to have about a third as much calcium as layer feed. So they would still come out a bit short, counting the calcium in the all-flock and in their own eggshells.

The amount of calcium in one eggshell is about half the amount a hen is supposed to get each day. And all-flock tends to have about a third as much calcium as layer feed. So they would still come out a bit short, counting the calcium in the all-flock and in their own eggshells.
Oh wow! I didn’t know the difference in calcium in all flock vs layer! We have a rooster that eats with them. Would layer hurt him??

Oh wow! I didn’t know the difference in calcium in all flock vs layer! We have a rooster that eats with them. Would layer hurt him??

You can check the labels to be sure about the calcium content in the exact ones you have or can buy. Calcium percent is listed on the labels for any chicken food I've seen in the USA.

People argue back and forth about whether the calcium in layer feed will hurt a rooster. Layer won't make him drop dead in a few days or a week, but might cause slow damage that builds up over time and causes problems a few years later. Some people say their roosters eat layer for years and do not show any problems, while some other people butcher their roosters often enough it doesn't matter to them.

The thing that makes layer feed different than other feeds is that is has so much more calcium. So hens that are eating layer feed might not need to eat much of the eggshells you offer. Serving the eggshells separately, not mixed into anything, is a good way to let them self-regulate their own calcium. (And if there are always eggshells available, but the hens are choosing not to eat them, you can be fairly sure they are getting enough calcium, so you don't need to go buy any other calcium supplements for them.)

Last edited:
Depends on how long you plan to keep your rooster. If it's more than a year or so, most on here recommend all flock or flock raiser with separate oyster shell (and grit of course). Over time, roosters can sustain organ damage from too much calcium but the process is slow, and not visible externally. Some roosters live for years on layer diet, but it depends on the rooster and you don't know what's happening inside without an autopsy after he passes.

You can check the labels to be sure about the calcium content in the exact ones you have or can buy. Calcium percent is listed on the labels for any chicken food I've seen in the USA.

People argue back and forth about whether the calcium in layer feed will hurt a rooster. Layer won't make him drop dead in a few days or a week, but might cause slow damage that builds up over time and causes problems a few years later. Some people say their roosters each layer for years and do not show any problems, while some other people butcher their roosters often enough it doesn't matter to them.

The thing that makes layer feed different than other feeds is that is has so much more calcium. So hens that are eating layer feed might not need to eat much of the eggshells you offer. Serving the eggshells separately, not mixed into anything, is a good way to let them self-regulate their own calcium. (And if there are always eggshells available, but the hens are choosing not to eat them, you can be fairly sure they are getting enough calcium, so you don't need to go buy any other calcium supplements for them.)
Thanku for the info! We’re going to take your advice and not mix it in. I didn’t know the hens would be self-regulating with the shells. We will stick with all flock! We are not meat eaters, and want ‘Big Red’ to live a long healthy life, along with his harem!

Do you have to the clean the egg shells in any way? I read something awhile that discouraged using their shells. I know nothing and would really like to use the shells but need more information. Thank you.

Has any had experience with this https://a.co/d/0e6fCoO. It says it's time release pellets. Do you think that's really a thing?
That looks like the normal size chunks to me.

They will dissolve slowly in the hen's digestive system so I suppose you could call it "time release" (as compared with finely ground powder, where it is all available at once and then it is gone.)

Back
Top Bottom