oyster shell - they ate it all?

williamsl77

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Northeast
I gave my flock that just started laying oyster shell this morning... about an inch in a small pie pan. They just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I give them yogurt periodically. They have all had great shells, even for new layers. I just gave them the oyster shell because I read I was supposed to. That being said, within about an hour, they ate all of the oyster shell. Is that bad for them??? Is that too much calcium? They have plenty of food and clean water. I give them treats every few days, which they love. I wonder if they thought it was a treat and went to town. I thought I had read that they would eat what they need of oyster shell. I did not expect them to eat all of it that fast. I appreciate any thoughts!!!

Do they have layer feed or grower/all-flock? I noticed with the all-flock that my layers would start scarfing the oyster shell as soon as they began laying eggs. Their shells didn't thin nor did they have excess calcium deposits on them so I'd say they self-regulated just fine. I just make sure the dish is never empty and they take care of the rest.

Do they have layer feed or grower/all-flock? I noticed with the all-flock that my layers would start scarfing the oyster shell as soon as they began laying eggs. Their shells didn't thin nor did they have excess calcium deposits on them so I'd say they self-regulated just fine. I just make sure the dish is never empty and they take care of the rest.

X-2 on that .There ability to self regulate blows me away.You'd think we could be so smart when it comes to eating...cva34

I put about three to five pounds out for my new hens (16, I think), they ate it in less than two days. :O I was shocked!!! My older ladies I got from McMurray last March, eat wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less!

Last edited:

What breeds are your chickens? I find that big chickens like my Jersey's tend to eat all the good stuff like oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom