Oyster Shell - who will eat it?

When I first added free choice oyster shell to the coop. The rooster decided he wanted some. I guess he wants strong eggs.
he.gif

Agway might have it. I am in central mass. and just got some today at Klems. They hadn't had any out until this last time I was there. they seem to sell this when needed.

I bought some oyster shells, and the same day I put it out for free choice I found out about it being bad for them at a young age, go figure. So I removed it. Then a few days later I was told I could just crush up their egg shells and give them back to them.

Now I have a 50 lb bag that I expect will last them a LONG time...

Quote:
I've always heard that to make one egg shell, it takes eating 5-6 egg shells. My pullets and younger birds don't seem to like eating oyster shell so much. It's the older hens or the girls who've been laying for a while that go over and begrudgingly swallow a few now and then when they need it.
lol.png

I had two 5 gallon buckets full that I dug out from under one of the old old old chicken barns that have completely collapsed after many many years... I've just cracked into the second 5 gallon bucket, 10 years later. LOL

hi there,

myself i use regular grit. which is good for all ages. unless you plan on shipping eggs you dont need oyster shell and its a lot cheaper.

I've been giving our 8 week olds parakeet grit, which is granite fortified with calcium and oyster shell. I just sprinkle it on the feed. They seem to like it and always go for it as soon as they see it.

Haven't decided if I'll add more oyster shell as they move towards laying age.

~Phyllis

Quote:
Do you buy a special mix?

The grit I bought(only option I saw at my local feed store) is only/pure crushed Granite and this site says that Granite contains very little calcite, if any.

Quote:
lol for a min there I thought you had parakeets that were 8 weeks old and you were waiting for them to get to laying age!
lau.gif
ep.gif

I was thinking geez those would be some tiny eggs and what 3 a year?
gig.gif
lau.gif

Anyway I've seen more than once now that calcium in younger chicks(this thread is the first time I saw an age - 20-22 weeks) can cause organ trouble/failure and lead to death.

Obviously they need some for their bones but I would think they get enough in their starter feed, plus some from sources we don't often consider as calcium, like many greens(I bet the grass and weeds they eat has calcium) have calcium in it, yogurt is also high in calcium, and I have read on here about many feeding them that.

Back
Top Bottom