Oyster Shell?

BirdsBeesTrees

Integrity.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
A long time ago (4 years) we stopped giving our chickens oyster shell. For some reason our chickens kept getting them lodged in their throat and would die. I've been trying to find some that is more ground up but then I'm reading that the ground up oyster shell is bad for chickens. We are using bags of feed currently but are going to a bulk poultry ration from Purina this week, and I'd like to give them some free choice calcium but I don't want to lose any chickens. What alternative can I give?

A long time ago (4 years) we stopped giving our chickens oyster shell. For some reason our chickens kept getting them lodged in their throat and would die. I've been trying to find some that is more ground up but then I'm reading that the ground up oyster shell is bad for chickens. We are using bags of feed currently but are going to a bulk poultry ration from Purina this week, and I'd like to give them some free choice calcium but I don't want to lose any chickens. What alternative can I give?
That is just the oddest thing.....

I guess I would keep poking about to see what else might have contributed to the deaths....

Because I have never heard of that happening......

But yes, if you need a different calcium source... egg shells are great....

Egg shells work for me. Rinse, hit with a good zapping in the microwave, cool and crush. I use a mortar and pestle, and try to have a variety of sizes, from tiny sprinkles to the size of a pencil eraser head. Kind of labor intensive, but my girls usually pick the eggshells selectively over the oyster shell. I provide a separate dish from the chicken feed for these calcium supplements.

Egg shells work for me. Rinse, hit with a good zapping in the microwave, cool and crush. I use a mortar and pestle, and try to have a variety of sizes, from tiny sprinkles to the size of a pencil eraser head. Kind of labor intensive, but my girls usually pick the eggshells selectively over the oyster shell. I provide a separate dish from the chicken feed for these calcium supplements.
Gotta say I'm loving the microwave tip! :D I have way too much to do to wait for baking egg shells.

Egg shells are not a substitute for oyster shell. They dissolve much quicker, the idea of oyster shell is there is still some in the crop overnight while they're forming their eggs.

That is bizarre that they choked on it, was it overly large? The stuff I get is about the size of small peas and haven't had an issue yet.

Does anyone know what maximum amount percentage wise of calcium is ok for turkeys, ducks, peacocks?

Back
Top Bottom