Oyster Shell

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I've been switching everyone over to 100% Purina Flock Raiser (i was mixing in Nutrena Hearty Hen) and although I've always offered oyster shell and grit on the side, i know that it's even more important with this change. In one of my coops, it's easiest to put the oyster shell right at the nesting boxes. Otherwise, i keep it near the feed. So my question is, do the chickens associate the need for extra calcium with eating or with laying? I believe the grit would need to be with the feed since the two go together (in my mind, so i could be wrong), but I have no idea about oyster shell. This is probably a dumb question, so just overlook if that's the case. Thank you for your time! I hope you're having a wonderful day

I just put mine in their path when they go in and out of the coop, which happens to be near the feeder. That way they know where it is when they need it. I think the most important consideration for location is that it’s easy to find and access.

I have the oyster shell in a feeder near the coop door, and they eat it as needed. Last summer I finally had a hen who didn't get enough when it was in the back corner of the coop. Who knows, she just didn't want to go there for some reason. When I moved it to a more traveled location, her shell quality immediately improved.
Mary

I've been switching everyone over to 100% Purina Flock Raiser (i was mixing in Nutrena Hearty Hen) and although I've always offered oyster shell and grit on the side, i know that it's even more important with this change. In one of my coops, it's easiest to put the oyster shell right at the nesting boxes. Otherwise, i keep it near the feed. So my question is, do the chickens associate the need for extra calcium with eating or with laying? I believe the grit would need to be with the feed since the two go together (in my mind, so i could be wrong), but I have no idea about oyster shell. This is probably a dumb question, so just overlook if that's the case. Thank you for your time! I hope you're having a wonderful day
I keep my oyster shell in a wall mounted old timey soap dish inside the coop. My girls love to snack on it just before roosting for the night.

Attachments

• 173F85EA-28EC-4D85-BE1B-3B5DFFB1D926.jpeg
    173F85EA-28EC-4D85-BE1B-3B5DFFB1D926.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 967F1E46-8A31-417F-85D3-B8CE57FBD64D.jpeg
    967F1E46-8A31-417F-85D3-B8CE57FBD64D.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom