Oyster Shell

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I know that oystershell is given rlfree range, I'm just trying to see if it is worth getting with all flock as opposed to just layer feed.

All flock alone, understandably, is about $3 more than layer feed for 1% more protein (or I can spend the same extra $3 for a 18% bag of 40 pounds instead of 50 pounds).

If I were to have, let's say about 40 pullets (bantam and standard), how long about should a 50 pound bag of oystershell last?

My standard chickens (25) eat 1/4 a cup of oyster shells a day. 1 cup can lst them 3-4 days. I just bought a small bag of it. Not sure if this helps.

Also should I still supply it in the winter? These birds will probably need it this year since they'll still be laying, but if they only lay like once a week or so, would they need it still?

They self regulate and only eat what they need.
I know they self regulate. But I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost to do the all flock and oystershell or just stick to layer feed like I have for the last 10 years. If they went through a 50 pound bag a week (not sure they would, don't see how they would), then it wouldnt be worth it to me.

And if they're not laying, I don't see why they would need it in the winter, but I've never used it before so I really don't know

I have found it to be cheap enough to not even consider the cost. I leave it out all year.

Disclaimer: I do have a lot of lime-rock in my soil and I think mine get a lot of their calcium there. Conversely, I've not seen someone complain or really even mention the added cost of OS.

If I were to have, let's say about 40 pullets (bantam and standard), how long about should a 50 pound bag of oystershell last?
LF (large foul) chickens eating an All-Flock/Flock Raiser or a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower feed, need about 7 grams of Oyster Shells daily to produce an egg.
So about an ounce for 4 chickens, 10 ounces per day for 40 chickens.
So a 50 lb bag will last at least 80 days if all LF are laying daily.
Now not all chickens lay daily and Bantams lay smaller eggs, so less calcium needed.
Chickens can also get Calcium from leafy greens, grass, weeds, and some bugs.
My guess is a 50 lb bag will probably be good in your case for about 5 months.
I keep Oyster Shells and Poultry Grit available year round.
20210201_142525_resized_kindlephoto-5349997.jpg

I drilled 3/32" holes in bottom of pails to drain moisture. GC
ETA; a missed letter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom