Oyster shell?

cbriggscc

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
North Collins, NY
I spoke with someone the other day they asked if I give my chicken's oyster shell? What is it's purpose, do they need that. I do give them scratch feed as well as their laying food, is the oyster shell in that?
ps Im so excited my young chickens have started laying eggs too!!!

Oyster shell supplies the calcium which the chicken needs to produce the egg shell. Without it you may find that your eggs will have only a rubbery membrane around the egg or that you'll have raw eggs in the nest. Your birds have some calcium stored,but it probably won't be long before you start to see the above problems.

If the hens don't get enough calcium, they leech it from their bones. The layer feeds we use have oyster shell and calcium in them. But both manufacturers advise that oyster shell be provided also.

Oyster shell should be provided separately from the feed and the hens will eat it as they need it. Our rooster never eats it.

Baked, crushed egg shells from your hens eggs can be given too, but you need a large quantity of them to satisfy the calcium requirements of the hens.

I agree with above posts
yippiechickie.gif

we were having probs with thin week shells on a couple of my older birds. We finnaly picked up some oyster shell at the farm store. No more shell probs. I see them pecking at it often. (we leave it out all the time in a separate tray type feeder)

Back
Top Bottom