oyster shells and shellfish allergy

craftychicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
San Diego, CA
Hi,

I have a friend who wants to buy some of our eggs, and I was telling her what we feed our chickens. When she heard oyster shells, she mentioned that her husband has a serious shellfish allergy. Will any of the compounds in the oyster shell transfer to the egg itself (besides the egg shell)? Are oyster shells fed to mainstream chickens for store bought eggs (if so then he'll probably be OK, right)?

Thanks.

Quote:
Oyster shell is very, very commonly used in the production of commercial eggs. There should be no concern whatsoever. I know egg farmers and big time egg eaters that have shellfish alergies and it dosen't bother them.
Severe alergic reactions to shellfish consumption are frightening. I have seen it come down. Not good.

thanks so much
smile.png

When people say they have shellfish allergy, it is usually related to crustaceans, i.e. shrimp, krill and other related members of that family. These people are usually allergic to iodine, and iodine medical contrast as well. The should also avoid chondroitin and glucosamine supplements because these products often use shrimp shells for the basic compnents of these supplements. Oyster does not fall in this family.

Back
Top Bottom