Oyster Shells, How much is too much?

SherryannM

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
West Michigan
I have 4 pullets, if my timing is right, they will begin laying end of June. I have been checking local stores to see what they carry, and they only have 50lb bags of oyster shells. I can order smaller bags. With only 4 girls, 50 lbs seems like a lot, is it? Also with the shells and pellets, will they need grit?

I have 4 pullets, if my timing is right, they will begin laying end of June. I have been checking local stores to see what they carry, and they only have 50lb bags of oyster shells. I can order smaller bags. With only 4 girls, 50 lbs seems like a lot, is it? Also with the shells and pellets, will they need grit?
The only way oyster shell will go bad is if you get it wet.

Oyster shell is not grit and cannot serve the purpose of grit. If your hens are confined and do not have access to dirt that they can dig through for grit, they will need to be supplied with an appropriate sized grit. Real grit is usually crushed granite.

The only way oyster shell will go bad is if you get it wet.

Oyster shell is not grit and cannot serve the purpose of grit. If your hens are confined and do not have access to dirt that they can dig through for grit, they will need to be supplied with an appropriate sized grit. Real grit is usually crushed granite.
This is exactly the information I needed, thank you!

The only thing I can add to the great info you already got is that some stores sell oyster shell by the pound.

My Jax store sells by the pound. It is handy if you don't have space or desire to store a 50# bag.

I also found NONE of my birds will touch the manna pro stuff that looks like drywall crumbs. The do readily use Pacific Pearl oyster shell. It looks like I would expect oyster shell to look.....actual crushed shell.

Thank you! I have a repeat order from chewy.com for dog food and I see they have a lot of options, so I am considering just adding the oyster shells on to that order. We have limited space to store multiple 50 lb bags. I can certainly make sure they have oyster shells and grit though. This is all great info!

Back
Top Bottom