Oyster shells - where do you buy them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebryant, Oct 6, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My dark-blue and two black Orpington hens are 22 weeks old this week and should begin laying soon.
    Where do you buy cracked oyster shells that are small enough for the hens to eat?
    What size packages do they come in?
    What do you use to put them in?
    Any advice on using them.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You might have a bit to wait yet....my BBS didn't start until almost 27 weeks.

I get my oyster shell at TSC or Orchelns. You can get it in 50 pound bags....sometimes they have smaller bags there.

I just put mine out in a feed pan.

3. joebryant

Thanks, Katy, that's good to know that it might be five more weeks. I'll plan on their starting about the middle of November. Maybe I'll start giving them layer feed and oyster shells the first week of November.
    I hope that I can buy the oyster shells in a much smaller amound than 50 pounds because I plan to never have more than seven hens, preferably six, and a rooster.
    With six hens, how long do you think that ten pounds would last?

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Can't you just pick some up at a fish shop if you need small amounts? Put it in a bag and smash it with a hammer.

5. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    tractor supply usually has them if you have one near you. i got mine in a 5 pound bag for like 4 something i think.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Farm and Fleet

7. jenjen

jenjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon House, Ca.
    Our Walmart sells oyster shell in 5 lb bags. It's 3 or 4 bucks

8. joebryant

Quote:Thanks, All, I have a TSC and Walmart near me. I'll check them out for a small quantity.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I got a 50# bag of calcium chips for $10.00. I used to buy 5 pound bags of oyster shell, for $6.00 until I found out about the 50# bag.

10. joebryant

Quote:What are "calcium chips" and where did you buy them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by