Oyster Shells

ElysianChick

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Middle Georgia
One of my five hens (all the same age) just recently laid her first egg!!
ya.gif
She's the only one laying at the moment. I put out some oyster shell for her to have if she feels the need. I've been assured the other girls wouldn't touch it. However, I've noticed ALL of them eating it! Does anybody have any idea why the girls who aren't laying yet would be eating the calcium? Are they just maybe getting close to laying and need it? ??

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

As long as the other birds are around the same age as the one laying, the oyster shells shouldn't hurt them. If they are still really young (15 weeks or younger) take the oyster shell away as the additional calcium can damage their kidneys.
We're glad to have you! Congrats on those first eggs!
ya.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Mountain Peeps' post; the oyster shells are fine for your pullets that are not laying as long as they are 17-18 weeks or older. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Happy New Year.

welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on getting that first egg, always a rewarding moment!

Thanks for joining us

Back
Top Bottom