Oyster shells?

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hi everyone! I'm raising my very first flock of chickens. I have 2 roosters and 21 hens.
All 14 to 18 weeks old. I'm feeding purina flock raiser. Would like to know when should I introduce oyster shells? Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

We have poultry grit and oyster shells in a free will dish for them at all times. We don’t add oyster shells until around 18 or so weeks or when the first start laying. Hope that helps.

"Now" is the answer.

If you offer Oyster too early, nothing bad happens. They try it because its new, decide they don't need it, leave it alone. Worst that happens is it gets spilled somewhere if the dish/bowl/container it is kept in isn't heavy enough, sturdy enough, or secured enough. In the scheme of things, that's pretty minor.

"Now" is the answer.

If you offer Oyster too early, nothing bad happens. They try it because its new, decide they don't need it, leave it alone. Worst that happens is it gets spilled somewhere if the dish/bowl/container it is kept in isn't heavy enough, sturdy enough, or secured enough. In the scheme of things, that's pretty minor.
X2
put it out in a couple different places so they have 24/7 access to it.

"Now" is the answer.

I nailed a Kraft sliced cheese container right to the boards I have to raise feeder to chicken hight. Works like a charm. Top it off every day. I can't find these containers any more. Plastic yellow probably got them some time in the last century. Just tear off the lid.

I nailed a Kraft sliced cheese container right to the boards I have to raise feeder to chicken hight. Works like a charm. Top it off every day. I can't find these containers any more. Plastic yellow probably got them some time in the last century. Just tear off the lid.

I'm using the plastic containers you get 5# of outdoor screws in. They are pretty sturdy, and I had a few empties from building the barn. I remember those old Kraft containers. That's been... "a while".

Hi everyone! I'm raising my very first flock of chickens. I have 2 roosters and 21 hens.
All 14 to 18 weeks old. I'm feeding purina flock raiser. Would like to know when should I introduce oyster shells? Thanks in advance. You guys are great!
I only pepper in Oyster shells with their regular food when I see a shell deficiency. My hens had rock hard eggs when they started to lay. They didn't need the extra calcium for over 9 months.

Back
Top Bottom