Oyster shells

Tony

Songster
Jan 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hi All,
I`ve read several times here about oyster shell being fed for "stronger" eggs and have heard of people going to buy it. I am fortunate enough to live 10 minutes from the ocean, the beach is FILLED with oyster shells,clams,muscles,little snails and other shells that i`m not quite sure what they are. anything wrong with collecting some and taking a hammer to them and feeding them to my birds? I would imagine I would have to clean them first or at least give them a GOOD rinseing with fresh water. Are any of the other shells besides the oyster worth collecting as well? thanks Tony

You might want to try baking the shells as well, that would sterilize them. As far as the other shells, I have no idea.

I have seen both oyster and clam shells advertised for chickens so I don't see why not. I'm not sure if snails have the same calcium content, but if they are washed I don't think they would pose a problem

Tony I would say you have yourself a free supply of oyster shell. And I do not see why there would be a difference in a clam shell. I but them in 10lb bags at me feed store and they are cheap compared to everything else. I would start collecting and smashing!

Woohoo!! free shells and I can work on my tan while collecting them, does life get any better??
big_smile.png
thanks all. Tony

Would "free range" chickens get calcium from a source other than oyster shells? There must be a naturally occuring source of calcium in nature that they eat.

Farmer Mack
cool.png
hu.gif

There are many weeds/seeds/vegetables that provide calcium, but because chickens have probably not evolved in the local area (They are most likely to have evolved in Asia and India) the local calcium products may not be enough to produce the type of eggs we would like to have.

Quote:

While plant sources have varying (low) levels of calcium, I would guess that most of a wild chicken's calcium intake would come from bugs, snails and the occasional small mouse or snake or whatnot.

I would also bet you dollars to donuts that IF wild chickens laid as many eggs as ours do, they would very quickly become deficient in calcium and stop laying so many eggs
wink.png

Pat

Quote:
I would think that bugs and "whatnot" (daily earthworms) would be a higher source now that you mention it. I also agree that a supplement would be needed in oyster shells if the flock is laying a lot of eggs daily

Thanks both of you for your imput

Farmer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom