oyster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flockmarket, Sep 1, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    okay, so i don't give my hens oyster shells, but i let them free range. theyre eggs are very strong, stronger than any ones at the grocery store. so does this mean theyre getting enough calcium? if not, will baked eggshells work just as well? is theyre anything else that calcium affects besides egg hardness? if i need to buy oyster shells, where can i get them?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Buy the shells at your feed store.

Baked egg shells are fine, especially if you don't notice a problem with your hen's eggshells.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It sounds like they are doing fine and do not need the benefits of osyter shell.
    I add a free choice bowl of it just so they always have it if they need it.
    I fill mine with their old shells broken up to bits and sometimes they devour it, other times it sits for a long time. They are pretty good self-regulators. Now if only my cats could learn to control themselves [​IMG]

4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I just happened upon someone practically giving away about 50 pounds of oyster shells and grit. I don't have that many birds so that would last me a LONG time...but I was thinking about adding more sand to their run. Is there any downside to just tossing it all in there?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It may be better to toss a handful in the nesting boxes. Give the girls something to do while they contemplate the universe.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I provide oyster shell to my flock. I have it in a pvc feeder. I've seen it at Walmart and TSC. A Little goes along way so buy a small bag.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If the shells are hard, and you are feeding back egg shells, and providing a layer formula feed with calcium, I don't see the need. I've never purchased oyster shells.
    Not opposed to buying them, but like the OP, no need has arisen to date.

8. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] My son actually does that for our hens & he practically said the same thing! [​IMG]

9. Picc-WA-Girl

Picc-WA-Girl New Egg

Aug 16, 2011
    I didn't know you needed to provide calcium. I live close to oyster beds, do you think there would be anything harmful taking the shucked shells from the water and drying them out?

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I do give oyster shell. Most our eggs are super strong, but I've gotten one soft shell egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by