oyster shells

flockmarket

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
okay, so i don't give my hens oyster shells, but i let them free range. theyre eggs are very strong, stronger than any ones at the grocery store. so does this mean theyre getting enough calcium? if not, will baked eggshells work just as well? is theyre anything else that calcium affects besides egg hardness? if i need to buy oyster shells, where can i get them?

Buy the shells at your feed store.

Baked egg shells are fine, especially if you don't notice a problem with your hen's eggshells.

It sounds like they are doing fine and do not need the benefits of osyter shell.
I add a free choice bowl of it just so they always have it if they need it.
I fill mine with their old shells broken up to bits and sometimes they devour it, other times it sits for a long time. They are pretty good self-regulators. Now if only my cats could learn to control themselves
smile.png

I just happened upon someone practically giving away about 50 pounds of oyster shells and grit. I don't have that many birds so that would last me a LONG time...but I was thinking about adding more sand to their run. Is there any downside to just tossing it all in there?

It may be better to toss a handful in the nesting boxes. Give the girls something to do while they contemplate the universe.

I didn't know you needed to provide calcium. I live close to oyster beds, do you think there would be anything harmful taking the shucked shells from the water and drying them out?

Back
Top Bottom