oyster shells

sparrker

Songster
10 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
I can't believe I just spent $10.95 on 50 lbs of oyster shells at our local feed mill and two months ago TSC ripped me off at charging $6 for 5lbs. Same thing with grit local mill $9.95 for 50 lbs , TSC $6 for 5lbs
Guess where I'll be going, and it won't be to TSC.

Not to defend TSC,never even been to one but they just opened one about 10 miles away a couple months ago. That being said, anytime you buy small quantities you pay through the nose or beak. My local mill is the same way. I paid $7.95 for 50lbs about a year ago and still have a half of bag,gave 5lbs of it to a friend as well and the 5lb bag was $5. I happened to see that my local place sells cracked corn in 15lb bags for the backyard bird feeder for like 8 bucks and know for a fact that a 50lb bag goes for $11 because I bought some. Don't blame TSC,everybody does the same. You can stretch the OS by feeding egg shells back to the girls as well.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just bought a 50 lb. bab at TSC for $8.99 on sale last Friday. Every store in the world charges more for the small bags of chick grit, chick feed, oyster shell. Since I am a cheapskate I always buy the big bag--it is always more economical if you can use it eventually.

The feed store here is the one doing the price gouging. A 6lb tub of DE is $12 but TSC has a 20lb bag for $10.

Feed Store or Feed Mill?
Most feed mills dont use or sell that much DE if any at all. I would also look at brand, a feed mill will tend to have a better quality product than a feed store (TSC). If you look at the product that TSC sells it is not "pure" DE but 67% Diatomaceous Earth and 33% Montmorillonitel (Clay).

Chris

Last edited:
TSC is very over priced on everything they sell.

Around here we are lucky that have a few true livestock/farm stores to go to and not have to pay TSC's prices.

Just some examples-

Safe-Guard Goat Dewormer (we use it on our poultry) TSC 19.99 PBS Animal Health 16.62

Ivomec® (ivermectin) 1% injectable 50ml TSC 37.99 PBS Animal Health 33.95 (500ml TSC 249.99 PBS Animal Health 133.95)

Heated Base for Poultry Water TSC 44.99 PBS Animal Health 40.53

Chris

By the time you add in shipping, they will lbe about the same price

PBS is a warehouse
You can't compare it to a walk in store and expect prices to be the same.

If I NEEDED any of those things, I could go to TSC and have them here in less than an hour, or wait a week or more to get them from PBS

Last edited:
I don't know about y'all, but I've noticed differences in not just the price, but the quality of oyster shell products available here. The 50 lb paper sack has obviously just ground up oyster shells. The 5 lbs in a slick plastic pouch looks like chalk that was pressed together to make pellets.

Guess which one my gals like better? The cheap stuff. Yay!

Only problem is, around here, feed stores don't always order the good stuff, and I feel like a snob when I explain the difference.

Back
Top Bottom