Oyster Shells

The reason corn is not recommended except as a treat is because it is high in carbohydrates and can sometimes make the chickens fat, which can cause problems with laying. It is also considered a hot feed, which may make the birds uncomfortable in the summer months. Because it is lower in protein, it will dilute the protein content you get from the layer pellets.

However, different situations can affect how your birds respond to what they eat - free ranging adds protein because of the bugs and stuff-grass and other vegetation add different nutrients.

What works for one flock may not be ideal for another. Andi's formula works for her, but may not be the answer for someone else.

HobbyChickener
Speckledhen pretty much hit on the basics. Add oyster shell free choice when the birds start to lay. The rooster won't pay much attention to it. Don't give your chicks only corn. Keep up the starter feed until they are laying age, then switch to layer food. The more experience you gain and the more you observe your flock will determine what works best for them.

Most people do feed oyster shell free choice in addition to layer pellets, but if you feed an all purpose feed that does not contain calcium, you definitely should have the shell out for them. They will take what they need. I backed off on the oyster shell, mostly because I kept forgetting to get it for awhile, and I found the shells not as rock hard. Try going without it and see what happens, then if you think you need it, put it back out for them.

thanks for the info mate...my girls are only 9weekers ( tomorrow!) so a while to wait yet...they are still on the chick starter food.

Thank you so much for your information. I have read numerous responses with your signature and you sure do have a lot of expertise. I loved the pictures of your coop and run with an address, their own flag, etc. TOO CUTE!
smile.png

ep.gif
YOU BAKE THE EGG SHELLS FOR 30 MIN!!!! Don't you get the burned egg smell?

I have a pie tin in my oven at all times. It 's a gas oven with an always lit pilot lite, so most of the time, they dry out just fine and are easilty crushed. Usualy though, they're in there when I preheat the oven, I just leave them there for a 3-5 min and take them out to cool.

I put them in a glass jar and crush them. I either feed some to the girls, or I grind them and put them in the garden. Good for worms as well as helping to defend against blossom end rot in tomatos and squashes (put some in the hole when I plant them and then 1/2 way through the season, I work some more into the top inch of the soil around the base of the plant.

Sandra

I've been giving the girls crushed egg shells (don't have oyster shell yet) and I just discovered an egg-eating problem with them... could feeding them egg shell contribute to them eating their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom