Oyster Shells

HobbyChickener

Songster
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
central KY
When should I start feeding my chickens oyster shells? Will it matter if the rooster have access to them as well? Also I know feeding them corn is ok, but does it have to be ground? Do I need to be feeding them anything other than corn?

I just spread them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at a low temp, maybe 150 degrees even, for about 30 minutes, then I turn off the oven and let them cool down in there. They crush so easily that way. I then put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer till I need them. You don't have to bake them, but I like to do that since it dries out any goopy stuff still on the shells.

Last edited:
This is what I feed and I've had really good luck with it. I leave out oyster shell and they eat it every once in awhile. Then I mix screened corn chops and layer pellets. You can use layer crumbles, but they will waste more of it. And I use chops instead of whole corn so even some of my bantams and baby chicks can eat it too. Hope this helps and good luck!

Andi
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Actually, corn is something they should only get occasionally. Corn is way too low in protein as a regular diet. I only use a good 4 or 5 grain scratch for calling them to me or for other training purposes or to give them at roost time in winter to keep them warmer. If you have laying hens, they need either a good all purpose poultry feed plus oyster shell or layer pellets. The rooster probably wont touch the oyster shells; mine doesn't. Don't give them the feed with calcium or oyster shell till they start laying.

Last edited:
I don't believe that they are old enough to be laying yet, so they don't need shells? I feed starter chicken feed to them now, but i was thinking if they could just eat corn it would be good for me (have 400 acres of it). They all do seem to like the june bugs they get though.

The reason I feed corn/layer pellet mix, is to get those dark yellow yokes. If you only feed layer pellets, the yolks will be a really pale yellow. I prefer the dark yellow ones myself.
big_smile.png
But, that's totally up to you. We all have different ways!

Andi

They should know. I'm not sure what all is in it, but I think it does have some corn. As I can see some yellow in the pellet. But not enough for me.
smile.png
My friend was getting eggs from her neighbor before she got her own chickens and she said that when she would crack them open that the yoke was so pale that you couldn't hardly tell which was the yoke and which was the egg white! She couldn't eat them. So she asked her neighbor about it and she said she only fed them layer pellets. So me and her both feed a corn mixture. But again, that's totally up to you. Corn is a little higher than pellets around here, but it's well worth it to me.

Andi
yippiechickie.gif

Not only corn will give you those orangey yellow yolks. Greens will, too. My girls freerange and eat grass, weeds, berries, etc. They get the general purpose poultry feeds, layer feed, plus all they find on my property. They get a handful or two of scratch per day, which has corn, plus sunflower seeds and several other grains. The yolks are bright yellow/orange and the whites are very thick.

Back
Top Bottom