Oyster Shells

The reason I feed corn/layer pellet mix, is to get those dark yellow yokes. If you only feed layer pellets, the yolks will be a really pale yellow. I prefer the dark yellow ones myself./img/smilies/big_smile.png But, that's totally up to you. We all have different ways!

Andi

Dandelion work for that and a flower called marigolds. To

has anyone ever tried using Crab shells for extra calcium. I live in Maryland and summer is Crab season would just like to know.
the only reason I ask is that I could get them for free. with all the Crab house around all they do is throw them out.

I know I need to get the grits for my 5week old chicks but I picked up oyster shells and put a little in with the feed my question is ( WILL IT HARM THEM) Please help me. And what happens if I wait a day or 3 to go back to the feed store and get the grits??? Oh and I put that scratch out to in a separate bowl please so lead me in the right direction

I know I need to get the grits for my 5week old chicks but I picked up oyster shells and put a little in with the feed my question is ( WILL IT HARM THEM) Please help me. And what happens if I wait a day or 3 to go back to the feed store and get the grits??? Oh and I put that scratch out to in a separate bowl please so lead me in the right direction

5 week old chicks should be eating grower feed. They won't need oyster shell until they are laying. At that point you would feed them layer feed with oyster shell free-choice on the side. Feeding it to chicks that aren't laying can be hard on their kidneys.

They can get insoluble grit for digestion from the ground if they have access to soil or sand. Otherwise you can buy granite grit and sprinkle a little over their food or provide it free-choice in a bowl.

They shouldn't be eating scratch as it only dilutes the protein and minerals in their grower feed. The grower feed has what they need for proper nutrition.

5 week old chicks should be eating grower feed.  They won't need oyster shell until they are laying.  At that point you would feed them layer feed with oyster shell free-choice on the side.  Feeding it to chicks that aren't laying can be hard on their kidneys.

They can get insoluble grit for digestion from the ground if they have access to soil or sand.  Otherwise you can buy granite grit and sprinkle a little over their food or provide it free-choice in a bowl.

They shouldn't be eating scratch as it only dilutes the protein and minerals in their grower feed.  The grower feed has what they need for proper nutrition.

Thanks a lot, so yes my babies free range from sun up till sun down so they can go without the grits is that what you are saying, and start putting them on grow feed too right. Again thanks.

Back
Top Bottom