Oystershell alternative

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-I have 6 ducks and 1 goose and no chickens. I couldn’t really find the answer I was looking for on here about oyster shells. I have a dish of crushed oyster shells next to their feed bowl and it just doesn’t look like my flock is eating it. They seemed to try it in the beginning but now the dish is not going empty. They are laying eggs so I need to make sure they are getting their calcium. Their base feed is flockraiser pellets. Is there something else I can try? What about other feed that has Oystershell in it? I did read on here someone giving them their own crushed eggshell. Is that a good option?
I’m open to any feedback. Thank you!

Yes giving them there own egg shell crushed up is actually really good for them! Oyster shells are good for them in my opinion occasionally! The oyster shells make there eggs really tough and hard to break through, especially if you plan on hatching chicks. By the way I don’t feed our flock oysters shell and we have a really healthy flock and good eggs. Let me kn9w if you have anymore questions

They won't clear out a bowl of it. My birds take several weeks to eat a noticeable amount. As for it making their shells too hard, that isn't an issue here apart from when they glitch occasionally, and they have layer feed and oyster shells at their disposal. Egg shells are good in a pinch. But they're not nearly enough calcium without anything else providing it
They won't clear out a bowl of it. My birds take several weeks to eat a noticeable amount. As for it making their shells too hard, that isn't an issue here apart from when they glitch occasionally, and they have layer feed and oyster shells at their disposal. Egg shells are good in a pinch. But they're not nearly enough calcium without anything else providing it
Yes giving them there own egg shell crushed up is actually really good for them! Oyster shells are good for them in my opinion occasionally! The oyster shells make there eggs really tough and hard to break through, especially if you plan on hatching chicks. By the way I don’t feed our flock oysters shell and we have a really healthy flock and good eggs. Let me kn9w if you have anymore questions
Adding the eggshells sounds good as well! I have noticed them them picking at eggshells I throw in my flower beds. Thought it was a bit strange lol. Glad to know it doesn’t hurt them. Im not looking to hatch any eggs anyway so all good there but I have learned from this forum that they do need healthy supply of calcium so that’s what I’m shooting for!

ok thank you. That’s good to know. Just really hard to tell if getting any at all when there are 7 of them.
Odds are they are. Of my dozens of birds, I've only ever seen 3 or 4 eat any and only 1 actually gobble it down, and she's an odd bird amyhow. They're pretty good at eating it and they only need a small amount at a time because of ho much calcium is in the shells

Odds are they are. Of my dozens of birds, I've only ever seen 3 or 4 eat any and only 1 actually gobble it down, and she's an odd bird amyhow. They're pretty good at eating it and they only need a small amount at a time because of ho much calcium is in the shells
sounds good. Thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom