Pacific Northwest 101

At least I know I fit in here!
tongue.png

woot.gif
Oh yeah, go Pacific Northwest! I doubt that anybody will ask us questions...
Oh dear. I was looking at the socks and sandals guy for a long time before I realized what they thought was wrong. Hey, socks and sandals is a perfectly legitimate fashion choice!
tongue.gif

Every time I see the commercial on TV for the goats rental guy, I crack up. It never occured to me that people in other areas of the country WOULDN'T use goats to clear an overgrown patch. Heck, a blueberry park near my house had been overgrown for decades. The city brought in a heard of goats to clear it out. The bluleberries got reclciamed, the goats were fed, and now the public has a free park filled with blueberry bushes. What's not to love?!?

how funny! i've tried to explain the fremont naked bicycle ride to folks out here in ohio and they look at me like i've got lobsters growing out of my ears..... the folks here also dont get the 'its 50* so i'm in shorts and flip flops' approach

oh for real ethnic food and a bone dry expertly made cappuccino.....from bella vita i think.

the last time i was in sea-tucky i brought home 8 pounds of coffee beans.

thanks for the laugh!

ps out here we run over the #99 smug hybrid driver with our big ol' F250 work trucks, flingin' straw and/or compost out the back with a yeeeee-HAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW
;-)

Last edited:
My sister in law and her family were visiting us last year during Da Vinci Days festival (kinetic sculpture races). She took a picture of the very full, very large valet bike parking lot to show her friends in TN. It seemed perfectly normal for a big event to me. I didn't get what was wrong with the socks and sandals guy either. The local schools in our area borrow their 4-H students' goats to clear blackberries (why work more than you have to?).

We do live in a bubble here, a big rainy mossy bubble. I love that I live somewhere that I fit in (as I pull the twigs out of my dreds).

Edited to add: we are at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this weekend. Took in MacBeth last night and Don Quixote tonight, we just might be typecasting ourselves. DS saw some people in big rainjackets earlier, getting out of their cars and commented "They must be from CA, geesh, it's not even cold or raining". I was about to chide him for stereotyping when I looked at their plates. We are all in shorts, it's 60 and cloudy. They must think we're nuts.

Last edited:
Another BYC member wanted some berry starts. So I mailed her raspberry, thimbleberry, and blackberry. A coworker was over when I was digging up the blackberries. She was horrified when I told her I was mailing them back east. Wanted to know why I was sending weeds to someone?

Imp- and yes of course I was digging in socks and sandals.

Quote:
Most locals won't pick them because the thorns are so vicious, and the blood loss makes you weak.
big_smile.png
Nothing like walking down a sidewalk and have a blackberry cane rip holes in your clothes.
They are pretty right now with the lavendar blossom opening. And yes they are everywhere and inpenetrable.

Thimble berries are a relative to Raspberries:
northwest native
tangy soft fruit
no thorns
bigger leaves
pretty dogwood type 1 1/2 inch flowers in spring
will grow in part shade

Imp

Back
Top Bottom