Pacific Poultry Breeder's Association Show Thread - Feb. 3-5 2017 - Modesto, California

Sorry you got sick. I was suppose to be home sick but I just couldn't stay away. Had a great visit with queen misha and the keeper. Sorry I missed you Honora.

Hey again! Just wanted to say it was totally great to meet you and talk with you.

Also, does anyone know what birds ended up on champion row? I know a lovely Ko Shamo hen got Best in Show, but I only heard about her. I wasn't able to actually see champion row myself because unfortunately my girlfriend had food poisoning Sunday morning and we weren't able to get to the show until about 10:00 when most birds were already cooped out.

My Grandson showed 15 Modern Games in the Junior Class and took Reserve Champion Modern. You go Ron Vereb!!!

I only showed two birds, a Buff Orpington who got spanked by Keller Farms and the Sallee's, lol. The other bird was a Black Copper Marans. I was hoping that there would be 10 or 20 Marans there but only 3 showed. He won but with no competition, it's a hollow win. He did get selected for Champion Continental, which surprised the heck out of me!

Here are a few pictures of my Grandson's bird and mine.

Did you guys feel like there were less birds there this year? I remember when I went 2 years ago there were a lot of bantam orpington of different colors but this year there was only 4 or 5 blues.

Sorry to miss you too @h2oratt ! I have to send you a pic of my chocolate EE that I kept from the hatch of your eggs. She is very pretty, can't wait for her to start laying! She already started squatting.

Did you guys feel like there were less birds there this year? I remember when I went 2 years ago there were a lot of bantam orpington of different colors but this year there was only 4 or 5 blues.

Sorry to miss you too @h2oratt
 ! I have to send you a pic of my chocolate EE that I kept from the hatch of your eggs. She is very pretty, can't wait for her to start laying! She already started squatting. 

Oh good at least you got one female. They had some bantam orp eggs on the 24 hr auction site. I thought of you. I brought eggs to give away at the show but no one wanted them.

Just some photos I took of a few pretty birds at the show. Meant to get these up a few days ago but life got in the way lol.

Oh good at least you got one female. They had some bantam orp eggs on the 24 hr auction site. I thought of you. I brought eggs to give away at the show but no one wanted them.

You should sell the EE eggs. They are sex-linked chocolate EE eggs, because the females will be chocolate. The chicks are like $40 on My Pet Chicken. The only problem I had was that I had to cull one because she had crossbeak. :-( The one I have is huge and gorgeous though!

I love the bantam orps; they are my favorite hens. It's hard to get people to take the cockerels though, because they are small.

Ok, @h2oratt here is a pic of the chocolate EE, we call her "Junior." :) She would not keep still for the picture! She is 4 months old.

We went but only for the morning 8-12. We do not show so it was just to take in the poultry spectacular.

This was our first one so I was surprised by the low number of ducks (other than call ducks) and there seemed to be a lack of variety in the LF breeds. Very surprised there were not more Marans. No Welsummers or Delawares that I saw and only 1-2 Sussex. Is this typical due to a lack of interest in the breeds in the area? Or just an odd year?

Had a great time though. Both my DH and I are both sold on getting some partridge Wyandotte bantams some day now. Got great information from a variety of breeders. I had never seen a Buckeye in person until Sunday.
clap.gif

Last edited:
We went but only for the morning 8-12.  We do not show so it was just to take in the poultry spectacular.

This was our first one so I was surprised by the low number of ducks (other than call ducks) and there seemed to be a lack of variety in the LF breeds.  Very surprised there were not more Marans. No Welsummers or Delawares that I saw and only 1-2 Sussex.  Is this typical due to a lack of interest in the breeds in the area?  Or just an odd year?

Had a great time though.  Both my DH and I are both sold on getting some partridge Wyandotte bantams some day now. Got great information from a variety of breeders.  I had never seen a Buckeye in person until Sunday. :clap  
This was an odd year. Personally I showed less birds because of the incredible amount of rain I have had here in Sonoma County. The birds I left home were ducks and large fowl. They were too beat up for me to show. I would suspect this is why you didn't see the variety that you would normally see at this show. They had 3400 birds in the show.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom