Pacing, panting, crying hen HELP

30mg isn't even in the ball park for an effective dose to treat a difficult egg. She needs at least 550 to 650mg. Get a bottle of the calcium citrate plus D from Walmart if you are able. Give one whole tablet directly into her beak. do that each day until this crisis is over. I've seen it work in as little as an hour and almost always gets resolved in 24 hours from the first calcium citrate tablet.

30mg isn't even in the ball park for an effective dose to treat a difficult egg. She needs at least 550 to 650mg. Get a bottle of the calcium citrate plus D from Walmart if you are able. Give one whole tablet directly into her beak. do that each day until this crisis is over. I've seen it work in as little as an hour and almost always gets resolved in 24 hours from the first calcium citrate tablet.
I came home and there was an egg! It is shelled and normally formed. Should I still give her more calcium?

Not at this time. Your hen is perfectly all right now.

Your hen was just acting nervous with the sensation of an imminent egg. You know now what is normal behavior leading to laying an egg and what sort of behavior indicates a developing problem. I suggest you get the bottle of calcium citrate and keep it in the run. If a tablet is give at the first sign of trouble, egg binding can almost always be avoided.

Not at this time. Your hen is perfectly all right now.

Your hen was just acting nervous with the sensation of an imminent egg. You know now what is normal behavior leading to laying an egg and what sort of behavior indicates a developing problem. I suggest you get the bottle of calcium citrate and keep it in the run. If a tablet is give at the first sign of trouble, egg binding can almost always be avoided.
Thank you for your advice, I truly appreciate it. This whole thing took about 8 hours and the poor girl must’ve been so uncomfortable. The calcium I have is calcium carbonate so I’ll try to be better prepared with calcium citrate.

Eight hours of pre-laying behavior is not normal. Very possibly a calcium citrate tablet given when you first began to suspect her behavior was excessively long and drawn out, she would have laid the egg within an hour of swallowing the pill.

If she should repeat this behavior with a similar long, drawn out episode, come back and update this thread. She may need a few days on daiiy calcium citrate to regulate her egg equipment.

Back
Top Bottom