pack of dogs breaking into coop

Thank you everyone for the advise. I have spent the day securing the coop...

so far I have...

1. put metal sheeting around the bottom of the coop
2. Double wired the entire thing
3. Got strong bamboo fencing and wired that all around the coop to a height of half way up.

The coop is already secure for digging in.. as its concreted around its base.... (when we first moved here a lost many birds to a mongoose that burrowed in.. and also chewed through the thinner wire.. so I replaced the wire to the thicker one a few weeks ago).

We have also started to fence in the garden today.. but is a huge area and is going to take a couple of week... its 5 foo tall bamboo fencing.. this stuff is strong and cheap. So far we have done nearly one side.

As a foreigner here.. I am not allowed to own a gun. I could find someone who owns one.. but they are going to have to stake the place out.. and the dogs came at 2 am.. so I don't know anyone with a gun, actually, and less likely they are going to want to sleep at my place until dogs happen to come back.

We can poison them.. the farmers often do if they have attacked livestock.. and the local authority sometimes poisons the dogs when there are too many of them.

I am not comfortable with the poison.. thinking about how long they will be suffering for... so I hope my extra secure coop.. and fencing in the garden will keep them out.

If there are more coop break in attempts then I will have to poison them. I HATE to do that.

Its so sad the way most of the people here treat the dogs... they just have them hanging around their property.. at liberty.. no control, vaccinations, neutering, etc.. and just let them breed and breed. Some are covered in mange and many have broken legs from being hit by cars. They are dangerous on the roads.. particularly at night.. and I know many people who have had a motor bike crash due to dogs running into the road at night. At night there a large packs of them roaming about and howling like wolves.. and fighting each other.

So I can't do anything like complain to the owners.. the people will think I am crazy.. its just the culture here.

I won't be getting much sleep the next few nights till I am sure it not going to happen again.

I'll keep you all posted.

That sounds like a scary situation, I'm glad your birds weren't hurt. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Thank you everyone for the advise. I have spent the day securing the coop...

so far I have...

1. put metal sheeting around the bottom of the coop
2. Double wired the entire thing
3. Got strong bamboo fencing and wired that all around the coop to a height of half way up.

The coop is already secure for digging in.. as its concreted around its base.... (when we first moved here a lost many birds to a mongoose that burrowed in.. and also chewed through the thinner wire.. so I replaced the wire to the thicker one a few weeks ago).

We have also started to fence in the garden today.. but is a huge area and is going to take a couple of week... its 5 foo tall bamboo fencing.. this stuff is strong and cheap. So far we have done nearly one side.

As a foreigner here.. I am not allowed to own a gun. I could find someone who owns one.. but they are going to have to stake the place out.. and the dogs came at 2 am.. so I don't know anyone with a gun, actually, and less likely they are going to want to sleep at my place until dogs happen to come back.

We can poison them.. the farmers often do if they have attacked livestock.. and the local authority sometimes poisons the dogs when there are too many of them.

I am not comfortable with the poison.. thinking about how long they will be suffering for... so I hope my extra secure coop.. and fencing in the garden will keep them out.

If there are more coop break in attempts then I will have to poison them. I HATE to do that.

Its so sad the way most of the people here treat the dogs... they just have them hanging around their property.. at liberty.. no control, vaccinations, neutering, etc.. and just let them breed and breed. Some are covered in mange and many have broken legs from being hit by cars. They are dangerous on the roads.. particularly at night.. and I know many people who have had a motor bike crash due to dogs running into the road at night. At night there a large packs of them roaming about and howling like wolves.. and fighting each other.

So I can't do anything like complain to the owners.. the people will think I am crazy.. its just the culture here.

I won't be getting much sleep the next few nights till I am sure it not going to happen again.

I'll keep you all posted.

Nice to know that you are so very kind and that you love animals, I'm sure your birds are happy! You can't get electric fencing though? That might put an end to all your troubles, and save you some work, (fencing the whole garden) if you could get it. Like you, I hate poison. I hope you don't have to do that.

Back
Top Bottom