Pack your eggs well!!

Quote:
my bet is on the local eggs. when you have them shipped, by the time you get them they're at least a week old.

i had this happen to me to
sad.png
i orderd duck eggs and the person tried to cram them into a chicken egg carton and duct tape it shut. they all had ither been cremated or had cracks or hairline cracks. no developed. i was sooo bumed.

Quote:
my bet is on the local eggs. when you have them shipped, by the time you get them they're at least a week old.

Oh yes alot better hatch on the local eggs. A 50 % hatch rate on shipped egg is a good hatch.
Just because they are not broken on the outside.Does not mean they are ok inside. thing like someone shaking the box,x-ray, setting on a dock in the sun, or in a hot truck. Take a toll on them. not counting they dont get turned for 3 days

I never ship egg older than 2 days,ship only Monday thru Wednesday.

Cheaper than shipping older birds, but remember the 50% rule.
Dont expect a better than 50% Lots of time its cheaper to buy day old chicks.
Not the case with peafowl, day old peafowl need to be ship mim. of 8.

Quote:
Um- that's really a decent hatch rate for shipped eggs.
wink.png

Just imagine what they go through in the shipping process. These boxes of eggs get tossed into bins, bumped along on conveyors, dropped into containers, wheeled around in carts, crammed into trucks under and between other boxes, subjected to all sorts of temperatures... and on and on.

It AMAZES me how tough chicken eggs really are!
cool.png

Local eggs are a much better bet for a good hatch rate. Perfect for someone who just wants to hatch any ol' chicken breed of any ol' quality. Because you'll have a lot less in terms of quality and variety to choose from. You want farmer Joe's run of the mill chicken's eggs or from someone who's won at shows and has painstakingly selected traits over the span of years for perfect their stock? Also, say you want to show a rare breed. You'll be very lucky to have a local person with that very same type ... and who's willing to sell you fertile eggs just so you can potentially compete with him with his very own offspring!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom