packing peanuts question...

Thought I'd drop in on this conversation... I just received an order from Ideal...

I ordered 2 Blue Cochins and 5 Black Sex Link's... and got 12 packing peanuts for a total of 19. I'm guessing the peanuts are RIR's but I'm just getting into the whole Chicken thing, so who knows.

And yep, you always want more
smile.png

Last edited:
Thats alot of packing peanuts... maybe we should include the time of year and where we're located in this, if we're actually trying to figur eout the equation as to why and when they add peanuts... this is interesting...

Caribou,

To further detail the shipment as far as where, when and the weather:

Delivery Date: February 19
Coming from: Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX (mid 60's high temp)
Delivery to: Norco, CA (upper 60's high temp)

From some other posts on the board it looks like during February, Ideal shoots for a minimum of 19 chicks.

I got my order from Ideal yesterday. I ordered 10 pullets, got 11 packing peanuts, all red, so a total of 21 birds. Although the website says they are unable to identify the breed of your peanuts, they had handwritten on my invoice "Production Red" and that is indeed what they all look like. My understanding is the number varies according to the weather they will encounter between the hatchery and you. So, it's mid-February, but I'm in north Texas, about 3-4 hour drive from Ideal. So if I order in March, it would probably be fewer peanuts, but if you're ordering from the Midwest, it might be more just because it will still be colder there, and they'll be traveling in that cold for a longer time.
I had thought that if you got 25 that would be sufficient for almost anywhere. I've heard before that McMurray often throws in a few extra regardless of how many you order. I wonder if that's to account for anticipated mortality regardless of weather. Hmm, not sure if that's a good thing or if it's a sign they're expecting disease... (heard a lot of bad things about McMurray, also a lot of good, trying to keep an open mind for now - I'll probably keep using Ideal just because they're so close that's got to be an advantage for the birds.)

CoronaCowboy Thanks for the super detailed info, now while your chicks were being shipped was it a full moon, high tide? just kidding! I was suprised to see you knew the temps and everything, way to be informed!

Sounds like Ideal throws in alot of peanuts... I've also heard alot of bad and good about McMurray, it would be nice to see a poll of who preferrs which hatchery the most...

Caribou,

The reason I went with Ideal is that I was under the impression that McMurray (and other hatcherys) had a minimum 25 chick order size. Ideal doesn't, but you pay a surcharge for ordering less than 25.

My wife was very unhappy with the number of additional chicks, but my daughter and I am tickled pink. We'll probably raise them up a bit then sell the extras off.

By the way, the moon was a Waning Crescent (24% full) upon delivery
smile.png
- Can't tell ya what the tides were like.

Quote:
hahahaha are you a wheather man?
tongue.png
I would be thrilled to get 'freebies' does your wife not like chickens?
sad.png
I want to figure out where and when to order so I can get bonus chicks !!!

hahahaha are you a wheather man?

Nope, just real good at using the internet
smile.png

I figure small orders in colder months = more packing peanuts.​

Well, I ordered 39 chicks figuring they'd just put them in a bigger box but nope, I got a small package charge so I'm guessing they're putting 25 in one box and the rest of my order and some packing peanuts in another box. We'll see.....they come next week.

Quote:
I have only ordered from Cackle once. Last Year. My co-worker and I only wanted to add a few to our existing flocks. We ordered 5 of this 5 of this and 5 of that for a total of 15. They sent us 15. All are still alive and kicking today!

Back
Top Bottom