Packing Peanuts - Turned into Meaties?

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I had a small order from Ideal That came with 8-9 extras for warmth during transit, most likely males. This is an assumption but from what I have read a strong possibility. I am wondering what I need to do to begin the growing out process for the cockerels once they have been Id'd as such? This may be a few months down the chicken road, and I need to have as much info available to make the cross over to meatbird production a successful one. I have never raised meatbirds before, but I am not prepared to have 8-9 roos in my flock. I do not want the hassle of selling them either, so freezer camp is my option.

Do any of you members do this with your "packing peanuts"?

Unfortunately, I'm so addicted to chickens, i haven't yet ordered a small enough order from I deal to warrant the living packing Peanuts.. I think it's a way to eliminate the unwanted male chicks or maybe in the case of pullets, over hatches.. One things for sure, it's the ones they don' want at that time. Put the on Craigslist for a few bucks and get some of your money back from the order.. That's what i would do with them, if I ever was able to order a few..
gig.gif

You could definitely sell them for a few bucks each. Or you could fill your freezer. I'd fill my freezer!
wink.png
Look at it this way, you gave the chickens a good life while they were here, and then they will nourish your family when their time comes.

The "meat birds" thread has some SUPER information! We just butchered for the first time last Friday, and the results were fabulous!!! I learned so much here on BYC, and I never thought I'd be butchering.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what size order they add the packing peanuts to? I just had 21 chicks shipped... wouldn't mind some extras, lol.

I think the addition of "packing peanuts" is a decision that varies depending on the hatchery, on how many extra cockerel chicks they have on hand, on the weather conditions of the season, on the particular order. I know that with McMurray you can ask for "NO peanuts" if you wish. But some hatcheries make it a policy to add them if your order is under the minimum.

I have raised these guys right along with the pullet chicks. I've gotten some in my orders and have also been given the extra chicks from other people's orders. They're usually some standard breed, usually cockerels because that's what they always have in excess, but sometimes there will be one -- or more-- pullets in the bunch. They really don't need any special handling or feeding, you can process them young and have a small fryer or let them grow up to about 20 weeks and have a larger roaster. They won't get to the size & proportions of a typical meat bird, the Cornish Cross, but still be good & taste like chicken.

If your order 21 they most likely wont send extras.

I just got 12 RIR packing peanuts.

You don't have to do anything "differently", just feed them the same, keep them clean, clean water and then when they start crowing they take a trip to freezer camp.
smile.png

Quote:
I don't know, WhiteMountain. I ordered 25 last year and 30 were in the box. Out of the extra 5, 3 were roos for sure, not sure about the other 2. I just don't wanna make a mistake and process a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom