First timer. Sending Apollo to freezer camp…

Well we got an accidental roo as a chick. He’s a RIR. He bit me just before vacation. Pretty hard. Now he’s begun sizing up my 8 year old since we got back a few days ago. And CROWING. Holy cow!! Sooo loud and non-stop. He’s just shy of 20 weeks old, so I guess he’s just a late bloomer with the crowing? Idk

Anyway, I was hoping for the best that maybe he wouldn’t be real loud or aggressive, and even tho he hasn’t attacked anyone… as a mom, I can feel it in my bones that he’s gonna get nasty. I just feel it. I am NOT comfortable with how he’s posturing around my kid. This is meant to be a pleasant experience for us and I don’t “need” a rooster stressing me out!

I was prepared that freezer camp may be inevitable. I do feel bad. But, I also know this is the correct choice and it is what needs to be done. My granddad raised birds and pigs, so I have been around this and assisted with processing. So grateful that my husband is comfortable dispatching, because I’m not confident that I would minimize suffering, and I fear my hesitation over it would lead to just that.

If you have any words of encouragement, tips or advice for me, I’d so greatly appreciate it.

Ty everybody. ❤️
There's no wrong answer/decision that can be made with the best interest of you and your family's safety in mind

Well we got an accidental roo as a chick. He’s a RIR. He bit me just before vacation. Pretty hard. Now he’s begun sizing up my 8 year old since we got back a few days ago. And CROWING. Holy cow!! Sooo loud and non-stop. He’s just shy of 20 weeks old, so I guess he’s just a late bloomer with the crowing? Idk

Anyway, I was hoping for the best that maybe he wouldn’t be real loud or aggressive, and even tho he hasn’t attacked anyone… as a mom, I can feel it in my bones that he’s gonna get nasty. I just feel it. I am NOT comfortable with how he’s posturing around my kid. This is meant to be a pleasant experience for us and I don’t “need” a rooster stressing me out!

I was prepared that freezer camp may be inevitable. I do feel bad. But, I also know this is the correct choice and it is what needs to be done. My granddad raised birds and pigs, so I have been around this and assisted with processing. So grateful that my husband is comfortable dispatching, because I’m not confident that I would minimize suffering, and I fear my hesitation over it would lead to just that.

If you have any words of encouragement, tips or advice for me, I’d so greatly appreciate it.

Ty everybody. ❤️
Well, it’s done. It was much easier on my heart thanks to y’all’s support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. ♥️

It all went very well and holy crap he was a big boy!! I’m not sure how much bigger they get after 20 weeks?? (LMK) But, if he wasn’t done growing… he was fixin to be a monster. There’s no way it would’ve been okay to have a feisty roo at that size with children around. NOPE. So, I’m good with it.

I’m actually really proud of us and I remembered a lot more than I thought I knew once we got into it. (ty grandad 🪽) Reminds me that there’s so much value in keeping children connected to nature and where our sustenance comes from. I feel really blessed and very confident now that it’s done.

Thanks again everybody!! Feel free to share any further suggestions. Always appreciated!!

Well, it’s done. It was much easier on my heart thanks to y’all’s support and encouragement. I really appreciate it. ♥️
Good job!
t all went very well and holy crap he was a big boy!! I’m not sure how much bigger they get after 20 weeks?? (LMK) But, if he wasn’t done growing…
With mine at 20 weeks, their frame is pretty much done growing, but they will still bulk up a lot more, getting more muscle/fat

Job well done! You are going to be so glad you did this and can start enjoying your flock without all the stress that cockerel was bringing.

Because he was on the older side, I would let him rest for at least 3 days before cooking, to make sure rigor is fully passed. If you want to roast him, I would do a slow and slow -- 275 to 300 degrees for 3 hours, basting every hour or so.

I might also brine him for 12 hours before hand, but that is personal preference. He will taste more strongly of "chicken" than you are used to (I like it, not everyone does), and the brine might help to bring some other more familiar flavors to the table.

Last edited:
Nice job! You did the right thing. You do not need to feel bad about protecting your son, humanely dispatching a problem animal, and also feeding your family (what I think is the most respectful thing to do with the chicken).

Just be sure to rest the bird for 1-3 days in the fridge like someone else said. Then use a good cooking method for a bird of that age. I have only cooked younger birds but I'm sure with an older bird you could put him in the crock pot all day and then shred up to use for some sandwiches or tacos. There are probably a million other things to do but that was my first thought. And don't forget to save the bones to make stock if you want it. :)

I'm sure with an older bird you could put him in the crock pot all day and then shred up to use for some sandwiches or tacos. There are probably a million other things to do but that was my first thought. And don't forget to save the bones to make stock if you want it.
Pressure cooker is another option, so I've read. I've also read that adding the chicken feet to bones in making bone broth makes broth so thick, it can be cut with a knife. :)

Pressure cooker is another option, so I've read. I've also read that adding the chicken feet to bones in making bone broth makes broth so thick, it can be cut with a knife. :)
I can attest to the second part! I've made the most delicious, thick broth with the feet in there. It's really good for you too.

Im just going to put it out there. If it doesn’t look worth eating, don’t stress out about it. Roosters often aren’t, in my book, worth eating. Cornish cross are an exception, maybe the exception. I have a few “other” categories for such occasion, the meat grinder for dog food or the crab trap.

Im just going to put it out there. If it doesn’t look worth eating, don’t stress out about it. Roosters often aren’t, in my book, worth eating. Cornish cross are an exception, maybe the exception. I have a few “other” categories for such occasion, the meat grinder for dog food or the crab trap.
lol and half of my meat comes from roosters

Back
Top Bottom