Packing Peanuts-what are we?? Just arrived and so friendly!

Sparrow

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
PeanutDarkResize.jpg

PeanutDarkSideResize.jpg

PeanutLightResize.jpg

These adorable babies were packed in with my ducklings when they arrived today from Ideal Poultry. They only sent me 4! I was thrilled to see them happy, healthy and peeping in the box with my 6 ducklings. Anyway, what do you think they are? I know they are roos, but beyond that I'm not sure. lol Two of them look like the lighter colored one, two look like the dark one. The darker ones have a lot of cinnamon color sprinkled throughout their heads, and they all have very flat combs. Can't tell if it's pea or rose, but definitely perfctly flat right now.

Another thing that I'm curious about is how light pink their legs are. A lot of chicks I saw in my Cackle catalog seem to have darker orangey legs. Does that hold any significance in determining their breed?

lol.png
They are a bit on the larger side for being so young, aren't they? My hands are pretty normal sized, and they were scooted up pretty closely against my hands in the photos, so it's a pretty accurate depiction.

I thought they might look like Silver Laced Wyandottes, but the light pink legs look different from my SLW pullets I bought 4 weeks ago. Theirs were yellow.
hmm.png

I agree, Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Hold out that there may be some pullets, I used to have Silver Laced Cochins and the chicks were often able to be sexed very early because one gender had the darker faces and one gender the lighter faces. Which was which, I can't remember! It wasn't foolproof, but you never know.

That would be too cool if some are pullets! I'm building a rooster haven for them already(yeah right like I was going to give them away
lol.png
), but if some do turn out pullets that would be a nice surprise!

You know, wnen I got my SLW pullets, they all had darker faces. Nowhere near as light colored as my 2 light faced peanut chicks. I'm curious to see if there is something to that idea!

**What do you guys think about the darker ones being possibly Golden Laced Wyandottes? They pretty closely resemble this depiction on Ideal's website. I just remember my SLW's no t having that rusty color on them as much as these guys.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&Product=240

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom