Packing the waterer!

Corgiman

Hatching
6 Years
May 23, 2013
I am new to backyard chickens. I purchased 5 started pullets from Murray McMurray this past summer. All five arrived in good shape on July 10th. I have 1 of each, Black Australorp,Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Silver laced Wyandotte, and A Light Brahma. All five started laying eggs by the middle of September. They are all healthy and a joy to have around. The problem I am having with the girls is that they pack their water with straw. I put the straw down in the run under the coop to keep them off of the cold ground. I Is this normal behavior? I have tried raising the water off of the ground, even bought a heated waterer for the really cold weather. They seem to love packing the straw in the bottom of the tray. I clean it out and a day later it is full again. Any suggestions?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you here in the flock
frow.gif

Sounds like you need to put the water up on a stump to raise
the water up a foot or so will keep objects out and the chickens
can use the edges of the stump to stand on
big_smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I will give this a try. Crazy chickens!! Love my little flock but this water thing is driving me crazy!

images

Yes, chickens do crazy things with feeders and waterers that are not raised off the ground. Good luck with all your poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

Chickens love to scratch all the time looking for food it is just the way it is. In the process everything gets into the water. They do not do it on purpose just an end result of their scratching. So hanging it at their head level would be a better thing, harder to get stuff in the water.

I would like to Welcome you to BYC!
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom