Paddock rotation set up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swamy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Pretty new to chickens and very new to BYC. Last May we picked up (sorry for spelling) 3 ameracaunas, 3 silver laced wynadottes, and 2 buff orpingtons. chics were a couple days old and a few are starting to lay right now. I built them a nice 6x8 coop with leftover construction materials as I am a contractor.

Since I didn't want to free range for all the red-tailed hawks, coons, etc. I liked the idea of a rotational system on fresh grass/bugs. I built a 3 foot wide run that comes perpendicular off the pop door, we have 4 paddocks 215 sq. ft. that feed off the run. Just shutting a gate at each "closed" paddock.

Big question for me: Is 215 square feet large enough for this type of rotational program with 8 large birds, where you keep them in each paddock for 7 days? The paddocks are 8x27

Appreciate any advice before I go around the welded wire with hardware cloth and make it permanent.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Sounds good to me. I have seen chickens in much smaller conditions. However, I always like more...more...MORE... room. But I think it sounds reasonable for the amount of chickens you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by