Paid Priority Mail $28 for 3 Emu eggs

Quote:
I went back and looked and the seller says:
"DUE TO POST OFFICE ABUSE OF BOXES AND NOW THEY ARE NO LONGER GOING TO INSURE HATCHING EGGS. UNLESS YOU PURCHASE MY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE I CAN NOT SEND REPLACEMENT EGGS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I BUBBLE WRAP EACH EGG AND USE PEANUTS WHEN AVAILABLE. I TRY TO WRAP AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE . I DO NOT WANT BAD FEED BACK BECAUSE I DID NOT WRAP AN EGG RIGHT. SO BE ASSURED THAT IT IS WRAPPED WELL FOR SHIPPING AND IF IT ARRIVES BROKE THE POST OFFICE IS TO BLAME. IF YOU PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM ME THIS IS REPLACEMENT ONLY FROM NEXT AVAILABLE EGG.NO REFUNDS, SEND PIC OF EGG WITH SHIPPING LABLE WITHIN 3 DAYS FOR A REPLACEMENT NO PICTURE NO REPLACEMENT."

Quote:
I went back and looked and the seller says:
"DUE TO POST OFFICE ABUSE OF BOXES AND NOW THEY ARE NO LONGER GOING TO INSURE HATCHING EGGS. UNLESS YOU PURCHASE MY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE I CAN NOT SEND REPLACEMENT EGGS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I BUBBLE WRAP EACH EGG AND USE PEANUTS WHEN AVAILABLE. I TRY TO WRAP AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE . I DO NOT WANT BAD FEED BACK BECAUSE I DID NOT WRAP AN EGG RIGHT. SO BE ASSURED THAT IT IS WRAPPED WELL FOR SHIPPING AND IF IT ARRIVES BROKE THE POST OFFICE IS TO BLAME. IF YOU PURCHASE INSURANCE FROM ME THIS IS REPLACEMENT ONLY FROM NEXT AVAILABLE EGG.NO REFUNDS, SEND PIC OF EGG WITH SHIPPING LABLE WITHIN 3 DAYS FOR A REPLACEMENT NO PICTURE NO REPLACEMENT."

Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole, and I wonder if ebay is aware of the seller's personal replacement insurance. They usually frown upon such policies.

Wonder what he/she uses when peanuts aren't available?

I found the ad,
wink.png
. You aren't kidding, all that shouting is hard to read. So you won an auction for 3 eggs? I may be on the wrong auction, but no doubt it's the right seller.

There is 100% positive feedback, but I still don't understand how that insurance thing works.

All the feedback on the first page says great packing, all eggs arrived in great condition. So why would one pay for his personal insurance, when he apparently packs well? Does it mean he makes more money on the deal? Or does it mean if you don't pay extra, your eggs will be busted to you-know-where and you will have no recourse?

Weird.

Last edited:
I found the add from the same seller too(the one I found was for single eggs):

SHIPPING ON 1 EGG IS $11.99 SHIPPING WILL BE $19.99 FOR 2 EGGS . NO DISCOUNTS ON MULTIPLE ORDERS. THESE EGGS ARE VERY HEAVY

Also: COMPLETELY READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW BEFORE BIDDING.IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THESE INSTRUCTIONS EMAIL ME FIRST BEFORE BIDDING

I would say with his feedback, and all the instructions, if you want an EMU egg, he would be a good place to buy from.

This is the right auction YES??? http://cgi.ebay.com/Hatching-Emeral...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6af99f3

Last edited:
Quote:
Based on that statement, it sounds like $12 for the first egg and $8 for each additional.
hmm.png

Since they wrote it in the ad, I don't think ebay would side with you in a dispute unless the seller agreed not to complete the transaction. That does seem excessive. I'm sorry!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Same one I found, Marlin. I do think that if I were the buyer, and had not read the entire listing, I would go ahead and complete the agreement. Perhaps ask if the insurance is optional. But then you do run the risk of poor packaging, especially if the seller has already been ticked off via email.

Frankly, given the clarified circumstances, I would pay the total and very carefully incubate those eggs. The seller does have a difficult to read ad, but it is the buyer's responsibility to read and make the choice.

Sounds reasonable to me. After all, one emu egg weighs the same as a dozen chicken eggs, and I doubt that you could ship three dozen chicken eggs for less than $28 since emu eggs are so large, require extra packing, large box, etc.

Like I stated, I'm just looking for opinions. This is how the whole deal got started. I thoroughly read the ad and then I offered the seller a best offer, it was denied. So, I offered another offer and it was automatically accepted. I contacted the seller and asked for an invoice. When the seller did not respond to my messages, that's when I started getting suspicious. The seller, after 3 days, responded to my message from today. The seller said that the shipping cost covered:

"The cost is very simple $1.87 fee for each egg for ebay .83 for bubblewrap each egg .27 for adhesive. and $1.23 for paypal rest for shipping and gas to take to post office. My fees are what they are and are clearly laid out. I usally get $20.00 and egg here at my house."

I went ahead and sent the funds. I really hope this transaction goes well and that I'm not getting ripped. The fees he listed in his message were not clearly laid out and he was rather rude about it. Maybe this seller should stick to selling the eggs at his or her house instead of overcharging on shipping to make up the difference. I was and still remain very polite about this situation.

I'm not looking for a fight or a debate here, please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom