Pail eggs

Sybadd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 26, 2013
Hi all

Todays eggs were fine, yesterdays too. But a couple of days ago two of my girls layed practically white shelled eggs.

I only have three layers so its easy to keep track.

They have had no change, same food same weather ...

Any idea what that was?

That’s not all that unusual. In the egg laying process, the egg spends a lot of time in the hen’s shell gland, applying that shell. The last bit of that time is when she puts most of the layer of brown on the egg. If something happens that causes them to lay that egg early, like some kind of disturbance, the egg can be really light. That happens.

Over the hen’s laying cycle, the egg shell will probably get lighter. Just before she molts that shell can look really light. You wouldn’t know it was the same hen laying it. Then after the molt the shell is back to really dark. But that’s not what you are talking about.

I hate to mention this because you might panic, but please don’t. There are some diseases that can cause the hen to lay a light egg, but as long as they are acting normal and the light egg is not regular, that’s not a real concern. I think I need to mention it though just so you can observe and assure yourself that is not the problem. It almost never is.

Back
Top Bottom