Paint for inside chicken coop

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We're considering painting the inside of our coop...and know some of you have done so...is there any special considerations as to the type of paint we should choose?

THe coop is insulated, and the walls inside are plywood. If we paint it, we'd paint it white.

Thanks!
Angie

Hubby does pro painting, and I asked him about this one for my 'chicken buddies' LOL!!! Here's what he said to do:

For exterior:
Caulk every crack, and caulk nail heads. This seals everything. Raw edges of wood need to be caulked, too. (For nail heads and raw edges just smear caulk over them to seal them up) Then PRIME with oil-based KILZ. Once the KILZ dries, PAINT with a good quality exterior paint. Hubby suggested Southwest Builders exterior LATEX from Sherwin Williams. Bottom line: be sure that all nail holes and raw edges are sealed before priming/painting to prevent water damage and minimize rot.

For interior:
This one's easy. He said he would not touch anything other than KILZ oil based for the inside. Your coop needs to be watertight. Make sure everything's coated well and use two to three coats of KILZ. This is both the primer and the paint.

Last edited:
I have a perfect answer for you. We got exterior primer and paint and it worked perfectly! We got the high gloss and it makes for GREAT easy cleanup! Just let it air out for a week before adding hens
smile.png
Good luck! Paint the floor too! IT's easy clean up too!

Oil based will give you a harder enamel-type finish, but if you have any water get to the wood under the paint, it doesn't have anywhere to go, it can cause rot, but more likely makes the paint peel off because it can't adhere to wood that is constantly wet. It cleans up easier, and has other benefits, but latex lets the wood breathe a tiny bit more, so on the outside, it won't have to be touched up as often.

Either way, make sure you get a good mid-grade or better paint--don't buy the cheapest stuff out there or you'll be repainting way too often. I swear by Kwall and have done a ton of painting with it, but I know Kiltz is also a very good brand--they have a killer primer that will totally block out pen and marker (unrelated to chicken coops, since few of my hens have ever draws pictures on the wall). I've never heard anything bad about Sherwin Williams, but I've never used it myself.

One good coat of primer will do you, and use good quality rollers and decent brushes to minimize extra coats and lines in your paint. A good paint will give really decent coverage with one coat, and maybe a light touch up. That's usually all it takes for me, but if you're painting OSB or other wood product, it may take a bit more because it soaks in better than on sheet rock. If you plan to use a bright red or yellow, expect to use many more than two coats. I did seven coats of cranberry on my bedroom wall. It was well worth it for one wall, but I'd hate to do that for a whole shed.

I've been working in a paint store for years, so take this for what it's worth. I hope this is helpful! Happy painting.

When we were getting ready to paint our coop interior, I looked on this site to get some ideas. One person mentioned Sherwin Williams Harmony interior paint due to the very low level of anything possibly toxic. Check with Sherwin Williams, they can give you the real description but that is what we used and it looks great, easy to clean and I'm comfortable with our choice.

Good luck, post pics when it's finished!

Oh good - cuz I have some dusty pink paint down there that would be cuuute inside a chicken coop - maybe I'll go all out and make it a girly hidaway! Lace curtains on the windows... (sorry, I got nuttin but boys in my house - it would be fun to go girly for once...)

Quote:
If you have a choice, I would suggest semigloss. Reason being, it is easier to paint over (with less prep required -- high-gloss really needs to be significantly sanded down if you want a re-coat to stick) while still being just as easy to clean.

Realistically, though, I'd go with whatever (within reason) you can get for free or cheap, cuz it just doesn't MATTER (brand either).

Oil-based vs. latex ... the only down side of oil is the water making the paint peel, correct? I plan (in the annual coop-cleanup) to wash the walls down with water .. will this be a problem?

Wet wood will make ANY paint peel; it is not really an oil vs latex paint issue.

You don't really need to be hosing down your coop though
wink.png
and it is not going to do any favors for the longevity of the wood, no matter *what* it is painted with (b/c realistically there WILL be crevices and scrapes and such where the water gets in and stays). Only done annually that's not a big problem, but still, just so's you know it is not necessary.

I also need to consider prices ... we're already over 100$ on this project!

Just see what your friends/relatives/neighbors have dribs and drabs of, sitting around in their basements or garages. As long as the paint is young enough, and stored tightly-sealed enough, that you can adequate remix it, leftovers are FINE for coops. Also some areas have municipal recycling centers with paint exchanges. Also if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you, or certain other types of recycling yards, they usually sell paint remnants for real cheap.

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom