Paint for inside chicken coop

Thanks for the replies! I may get in to go paint shopping tomorrow....... I guess my question should be oil or latex? Airing it out for a week isn't a problem...we can do that.....

How many coats of primer and paint? Your posts have been great....but all the brands mentioned...Im not sure what they carry.....so I'll just wait on that till I get in there, I'll make a note of them!

Angie

Ok...I'm going shopping for paint in the morning (I wrote down ideas here). If they don't have what was suggested....is there a reason I should go with latex over oil based or vice versa? Someone here said the oil based lasts longer?

Angie

Oil based will give you a harder enamel-type finish, but if you have any water get to the wood under the paint, it doesn't have anywhere to go, it can cause rot, but more likely makes the paint peel off because it can't adhere to wood that is constantly wet. It cleans up easier, and has other benefits, but latex lets the wood breathe a tiny bit more, so on the outside, it won't have to be touched up as often.

Either way, make sure you get a good mid-grade or better paint--don't buy the cheapest stuff out there or you'll be repainting way too often. I swear by Kwall and have done a ton of painting with it, but I know Kiltz is also a very good brand--they have a killer primer that will totally block out pen and marker (unrelated to chicken coops, since few of my hens have ever draws pictures on the wall). I've never heard anything bad about Sherwin Williams, but I've never used it myself.

One good coat of primer will do you, and use good quality rollers and decent brushes to minimize extra coats and lines in your paint. A good paint will give really decent coverage with one coat, and maybe a light touch up. That's usually all it takes for me, but if you're painting OSB or other wood product, it may take a bit more because it soaks in better than on sheet rock. If you plan to use a bright red or yellow, expect to use many more than two coats. I did seven coats of cranberry on my bedroom wall. It was well worth it for one wall, but I'd hate to do that for a whole shed.

I've been working in a paint store for years, so take this for what it's worth. I hope this is helpful! Happy painting.

Quote:
Harmony Paint is Excellent! It hardly has a smell to it at all and goes on smoothly and is very bright and pretty for the color. However, it is normally very expensive. We used it in my DD's bedroom and it's gorgeous. However, the cans cost a lot! You might want to ask Sherwin/Williams if they have some mistake mixes...my daughter wanted her room a sky blue called bluebell, but the girl behind the counter went running to the back when she saw our swatch and brought out a blue that was just a hair darker. The can cost me 4.00 instead of 30.00!!!

Quote:
Yes, if you can get them mixed up well enough -- but PRIME FIRST. It is a giant mistake not to prime first
wink.png

Pat

Oh good - cuz I have some dusty pink paint down there that would be cuuute inside a chicken coop - maybe I'll go all out and make it a girly hidaway! Lace curtains on the windows... (sorry, I got nuttin but boys in my house - it would be fun to go girly for once...)

Rosebud - Just be a little careful about using old paint. I painted one wall (thank goodness it was ONLY one wall) in my coop a few weeks ago with some old paint (it was Behr, about 6-7 years old, stored in my basement, easily mixable - not thick or nasty). I was very proud of myself as I was saving it from the landfill and saving myself some money at the same time. I primed first and painted two coats of paint. Looked great. Set up with a fan and left it be for a few days. Days later, the paint was still tacky. It just wouldn't dry correctly. Then my husband leaned something against the wall (he can be a butterhead sometimes) and the paint came RIGHT OFF. Peeled like a bad sunburn. I ended up having to scrape the entire wall, remove all of the paint and start over. All of that so I could save $25. Sheesh. Again, thank goodness it was only one wall. I did a fair amount of crying. It was a monster waste of precious time while we're trying hard to get the hens into their coop. Maybe it was a fluke - I have painted with older paint in the past with ZERO problems. But now I'm a bit gunshy and would probably paint a scrap piece first to make sure there are no problems...

Just my $.02. I prefer to learn from other's mistakes BEFORE I do them myself.... Good luck!

BTW, I personally think a pink coop is cute.

I have had good luck so far with the barn paint that home depot sells for $10 a gallon. It's a paint + primer in one, oil based water cleanup. Smell isn't nearly as strong as some of the external paints I've used.

I go to the oops paint section and buy up the latex outdoor paint or high quality deck/fence stain for $5 a can. This does the insides of my coops. I just painted two sets of nesting boxes blue
smile.png

We have lots of different coops, lots to paint! I have to keep price in mind as well as everything else. The barn paint is meant to be used on barns. It comes in white and red! So I have this goofy thing about wanting all of our coops to be red with white roofs
smile.png

Now I have to figure out what to do about all of the dog kennels I"m using as shelters for the birds as well. They don't really need painting, and getting them to match the wooden shelters is way down on my list of things to do, but it would be nice!
smile.png

I think I will use Kilz high gloss on the floors of my new coops.

Kendra

Back
Top Bottom