paint for tractor bottoms?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I'm wondering what to do about the untreated 2x4s that make up the run underneath my tractor/coop - I would like to paint it the same color as the coop for cohesiveness - but would exterior latex paint hold up on wood that is directly on the ground and wet grass (and eventual chicken poop)? I could treat the very bottoms with Thompson's water sealer but how far up does that need to go? My fenced part of 2 feet high and there isn't any obvious spot to stop the paint and start the water seal without my making an arbitrary line. What do you other tractor owner do about painting or treating the bottoms of your tractors?

I painted with exterior paint - kilz high gloss ( it says "our very best one coat" on it). Seems to be holding up well and will be easy enough to repaint when needed.

Yup, exterior latex (or oil based if you really prefer) will be about as good as you can do. PRIME first, then apply the paint in several thin (not thick) coats.

If you expect the tractor to last forever you will eventually have to scrape and repaint, but that is not such a big deal.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

And your exterior hi gloss paint is on the surfaces directly on the ground and within a few inches of the damp ground and it hasn't worn/chipped/cracked off? This is wonderful news!! Would the paint be toxic to chickens if they ate them?

I don't think they could peck off enough and eat it to hurt them. They probably wouldn't anyway. My chickens will "taste" things and drop stuff they don't want/like or shouldn't eat.

Example: I was using some pipe thread seal (teflon tape) when I was plumbing in the waterer. I dropped a couple of scraps on the ground. My chickens are curious little buggers and want to be involved in whatever I am doing. Well about each one of them picked it up and tasted it, then spit it out.

Oh and it hasn't bubbled, or cracked and peeled on mine.

Last edited:
They won't peel for a good long while IF you

-make sure the wood is good n dry (internally as well as externally) before painting - don't paint it within a week or more of when it's been sitting on wet grass or in a damp environment.

-prime first. realio trulio

-apply paint in several THIN coats. Thick coats will peel and flake much much more readily.

Eventually any paint will get a bit peelyl; that's when you put the tractor up on blocks, or turn it over, and scrape and repaint. But done properly this should not happen for several years of continual use, more if the tractor is only used seasonally and is stored on blocks off-season.

Have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I agree with the other posts. I would definately PRIME first. I did and mine is holding up really well. I used exterior latex.
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom