Paint question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amp, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Amp

Amp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I have untreated wood on the inside and I'm not finishing the walls. I was planning on using Kilz primer and then painting. My husband does not want to paint. He thinks we should just seal the wood and use a pressure washer if we need to. What does everyone think?

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Wood will absorb liquid in poo and provide breeding ground for bad stuff. Will also absorb odor. As a side note to that, I bought a house and stripped wall paper off the bathroom wall...guess what it smelled like! [​IMG]

I would seal, paint, or put down something on the floor. Sand, maybe? From what Ive read it seems the best choice...

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, I'm painting mine inside. [​IMG]

4. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I'm glad I saw this post b/c I was planning on leaving the inside all wood - I like the look of the wood in there. But...don't want it to be destroyed by absorbing everything [​IMG] So you can use a sealer on the wood though? B/c if I do that, I can still have the wood look...

5. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I used Kilz primer for floor and walls, then porch paint for the floor (moisture and foot traffic resistant) and kitchen/bath paint on the walls (moisture resistant and can be scrubbed). Was able to find everything but the primer at the Habitat Restore. But a good porch type wool sealer should work as well as paint, if you're wanting to keep the wood look.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I vote for primer and paint. Good luck and have fun!!!
    [​IMG]

7. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    Quote:Yikes! I had no idea! And to think I was gonna leave my coop unpainted out of laziness! A million thanks!

8. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm glad I saw this too! I was planning on leaving the inside unfinished also. Oops. I wasn't even thinking about the moisture damage and such. I was thinking the paint might be bad for the chickens (if they pecked it, it peeled, they ate it, etc)? Well, now we'll have to prime & paint the inside too. [​IMG] I am planning on putting down some cheap linoleum on the floor... is that an ok idea? What are these "poop boards" I have heard people talk about?

9. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Makes me go hum.... I used marine grade ply wood... guess I need to research how resistant it is to moisture... I was just planning to leave it and thought it would be easy to keep clean and sprayed out when a deep clean was needed. [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It's not a matter of moisture-resistance, it's a matter of "poo sticks to unsealed wood". Nekkid marine plywood isn't going to be any easier to clean than nekkid regular plywood. I.e. not very easy at all, especially for the big liquid splorts of cecal poo.

I highly recommend priming and painting. Or at least priming. You don't literally *have* to do it, but it sure does make life MUCH more pleasant.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by