Amp

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2011
Alabama
I have untreated wood on the inside and I'm not finishing the walls. I was planning on using Kilz primer and then painting. My husband does not want to paint. He thinks we should just seal the wood and use a pressure washer if we need to. What does everyone think?

Kikiriki

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
Roanoke County, Virginia
Wood will absorb liquid in poo and provide breeding ground for bad stuff. Will also absorb odor. As a side note to that, I bought a house and stripped wall paper off the bathroom wall...guess what it smelled like!

I would seal, paint, or put down something on the floor. Sand, maybe? From what Ive read it seems the best choice...

hockeygirl56

Songster
9 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
I'm glad I saw this post b/c I was planning on leaving the inside all wood - I like the look of the wood in there. But...don't want it to be destroyed by absorbing everything
So you can use a sealer on the wood though? B/c if I do that, I can still have the wood look...

RiddleMe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Central Oregon
I used Kilz primer for floor and walls, then porch paint for the floor (moisture and foot traffic resistant) and kitchen/bath paint on the walls (moisture resistant and can be scrubbed). Was able to find everything but the primer at the Habitat Restore. But a good porch type wool sealer should work as well as paint, if you're wanting to keep the wood look.

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Southern California
I'm glad I saw this too! I was planning on leaving the inside unfinished also. Oops. I wasn't even thinking about the moisture damage and such. I was thinking the paint might be bad for the chickens (if they pecked it, it peeled, they ate it, etc)? Well, now we'll have to prime & paint the inside too.
I am planning on putting down some cheap linoleum on the floor... is that an ok idea? What are these "poop boards" I have heard people talk about?

jinxschuh

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Northern Utah
Makes me go hum.... I used marine grade ply wood... guess I need to research how resistant it is to moisture... I was just planning to leave it and thought it would be easy to keep clean and sprayed out when a deep clean was needed.

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Quote:It's not a matter of moisture-resistance, it's a matter of "poo sticks to unsealed wood". Nekkid marine plywood isn't going to be any easier to clean than nekkid regular plywood. I.e. not very easy at all, especially for the big liquid splorts of cecal poo.

I highly recommend priming and painting. Or at least priming. You don't literally *have* to do it, but it sure does make life MUCH more pleasant.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Top Bottom