Paint question

I did lay down linoleum tiles on the floor of my coop, but I never thought about painting the interior walls. Seems like nearly all pictures I saw had bare wood inside. Hope they don't poop on the walls much!

Quote:
Point taken. The coop is coming up for it's first complete bedding change here this week. I guess depending on how that goes will determine if I go ahead and lay down something. I've got some of the cheap stick tile things and some gorilla glue... maybe I could use those, they've just been sitting in the garage. We bought a box to patch a few places on the floor when we were trying to get it ready for FHA inspection to get our loan. We had already purchased wood flooring to put in but couldn't install it until we closed on the house so we used the stick tiles as a quick, cheap fix to get through the inspection.

Could I get away with only priming and painting the floor, and maybe up a few inches of the interior walls? Also, what type of paint...gloss, semi-gloss, satin? I such a noob
lol.png

I don't know if this is the right answer or not but I used opaque wood stain, not paint.

Quote:
If you're only going to paint part of the interior walls, I would think 18" all the way around the bottom and then up the wall behind the roosts would be the most important parts to paint. I've heard that the high gloss is supposed to be the easiest to clean. Mine is actually semi-gloss and so far, cleans up great, but that might be because it was designed to be cleaned.

I am in the process of converting a 8x8 garden shed into a coop. My frist coop was untreated plywood with a linoleum floor. On this second coop I primed the floor and then used Porch and Floor paint on the floor, Semi-gloss paint on all the walls and the ceiling. Over time you will have moisture and oder issues with the raw wood exposed. It is the difference between having to pressure wash and scrub walls when cleaning the coop vs. being able to sweep out with a broom and maybe a damp cloth in certain areas. The dust from the birds clings hobrribly to the raw wood as well.

I think the cost to paint well outweighs the problems later. It's really just more elbow grease in the beginning. Also having a deep layer of litter on the floor helps with the oder and moisture issues as well. Hope this helps.

Great and very informative post. We are in the finishing stages of our new coop. The old one was a real pain in the butt to clean which was a major factor in making the choice to build a new coop we could walk into. We intended to leave the interior walls bare, not realizing this would make for another difficult cleaning situation. Now we will be priming and painting inside. We've put down concrete tiles on the floor and will put removable linoleum down on top of that so that we can pull it out and wash it as needed. Then deep layer with pine shavings on top of the linoleum.....I found deep layer to be a pretty good method in the old coop so far.

So glad I stumbled upon this text before we moved the girls in. We have lots of extra paint lying around! Many thanks
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Painting the inside does not have to cost anything. Most any old paint will do. I happen to have some left over kilz so I primed with kilz and used left over pink paint from my daughters bedroom over top of the kilz. It held up nice the first year and when I cleaned the coup this spring everthing cleaned up real nice. All I did was shovel out the old litter, sweep the walls and floor, and put down new litter. I did not wash anything except the roost, which was designed to come out easily for just that purpose. I have linoleum on my floor.

Probably know the answer to this, but can you paint over damp wood? Got all but the roof built yesterday before the rain started. I covered it with plastic best I could, but water got through and wet the floor. More rain expected tomorrow. I don't want to place the roof on until the inside paint is dry. Once the roof is on, drying will be an issue as well. Do I need to let the wood dry completely before primer and paint?

Back
Top Bottom