Painted metal roof?

SankofaGypsy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Metro Detroit
I recently purchased a coop that has a white corrugated metal roof. I hear that helps with heat reflection in the summer to keep the inside of the coop cooler. Would it make sense to flip the sheet over and paint the other side black, then bolt it back on upside-down for the wintertime, to help absorb heat and keep the coop warmer on cold michigan days? Or would the added benefit not be worth the effort?

Thanks!

Karin

i believe it will help, just dont paint with latex paint as a neighbor painted a box van (acholic) with od green latex and he just as well poured paint on the ground as he would ve painted his van

The metal will absorb heat regardless of the color. I would not bother. They need ventilation, and freedom from drafts; they really do not need heat. Just be sure there is air flow to allow moisture to get out.

I think that would make an interesting experiment. Try it, and put in a thermometer inside the coop to test the results. Science rules!

I wouldn't do it. Three reasons, the first being the biggie:

1) you cannot remove and reattach metal roofing repeatedly without getting leaks and creeping looseness of screws. You will never get the roof quite right again, and furthermore you will be reaming out the screw holes so that it becomes more and more likely to blow off with the first stiff wind.

2) nearly all metal roofing is ribbed for support. You cannot attach it as well rib-side-down without a) looseness and b) leaks (b.c of where the ribs are located w/r/t the overlap between adjacent panels)

and

3) you need to have your roof INSULATED in a michigan winter, otherwise it will become a condensation (thus, humidity) farm and render your ventilation ineffective and increase your chances of frostbite. With insulation under the metal you will not get much solar gain through a black roof ANYhow.

If you want daytime solar gain, it is super easy to make a little passive solar heater in one fashion or another (search on 'popcan heater' for one version, but there are many other ways to do it).

So, I'd categorically say, You Would Really Regret It.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I would agree with this. Corrugated metal is not easy to re-use. And while black paint may trap heat into the metal, I do not think that will translate into significantly warmer air in the coop during winter.

Well its a good idea but well a big BUT. When you get snow on the roof it doent matter what color it is becouse the snow is going to block the sun.
wink.png

Chris

If this was done from the start:
Apply your dark color to the inside of the decking that the metal roof is adheared to. White to the top of the decking, then apply the unpainted corrugated metal to the decking.

My chicken yard is next to a shed with metal roof that had a giant red, white and blue painted on the roof in 2001. Lately I am forever finding paint chips in the chicken yard after heavy rains, winds, etc. You can just imagine how those chickens want those colorful chips.

Back
Top Bottom