Painters! I need your opinion

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Well... Lets just say Im no pro
tongue.png

A member of my SOs family said if I was to ever paint a wolf to let him know. Not having painted anything on a canvas in a while I decided ...why not?
Ill just give it to him for X-Mas.

I want to do it on a black background.. but I think it will need some sort of SOMETHING.
Here is the wolf I will be painting..
While I like THAT background I dont want my inexperience to mess it up. Any ideas?
grey-wolf_565_600x450.jpg

I'm no pro either, but I bet you could do a similar background to that cool photo that suggests blurred out snow covered trees. It just depends on getting the feel for using a big soft blending brush. You could try practicing the technique some on a smaller surface before you start on your canvas. If you end up not liking the background you put on the canvas you can just let it dry and paint over it... well, as long as you are not planning to use really expensive oil paint. Its worth a try. Have fun.

Im trying...
And its not pretty
lol.png

I started by using paper towels then got brave and moved to brushes
...shoulda stuck with the towels

Go with that background. If you're using Watercolor I can't help you but Acrylic or Oil - Apply thick and smudge a lot is the easiest route.
wink.png

Quote:
whenever I do blurred backgrounds or something similar, I will drybrush. or even better... Do you have an art store close by you? If you do...I highly, highly recommend Golden's acrylic glazing liquid for the background. I was a manager at an art store while I was in college and found this product and use it with any acrylic project I do....it can be mixed with drybrushing, but instead of a scratchy dry look, it is rather buttery and can do things like that background with ease.

Quote:
whenever I do blurred backgrounds or something similar, I will drybrush. or even better... Do you have an art store close by you? If you do...I highly, highly recommend Golden's acrylic glazing liquid for the background. I was a manager at an art store while I was in college and found this product and use it with any acrylic project I do....it can be mixed with drybrushing, but instead of a scratchy dry look, it is rather buttery and can do things like that background with ease.

Thanks for the tip!
Ill check out whats around in town.
smile.png

personally I would use to sponge the put the white on black, then smudge it with my fingers. But I'm a messy artist! And almost always use acrylics to paint, occasionally watercolour they wash off ME better! lol

It could look great with a black background though, very dramatic!

just remember you can always gesso over it and start over if it gets really out of control!

Im a messy painter as well, usually cover myself head to toe.
lol.png

I usually use my fingers, arms, knees, etc to help blend and hold colors then I use my mouth to wet the brush JUST enough.

Ive had to take a small break for another piece but sometimes is best to walk away before you ruin it
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom