Painting kitchen cabinets?

We're probably going to go with stainless/brushed nickel knobs/pulls because our sink is a double stainless steel. Our appliances are all white, new ones...the walls are white & the counter tops (VERY GROSS & NEED TO BE REPLACED) are also white. I'm hoping to get an antique/rustic white look on the cabinets & then do dark countertops.

Remove the doors, putty imperfections, lightly sand, put on new knobs, primer, paint?

eggzactly.

I WOULD TSP THEM FIRST to get off the oils, cleaners and normal kitchen grime -- otherwise you'll be surprised to see them yellow a bit over time.​

Quote:
You've got to remove the doors, first, correct?

Thanks!

OMG you are so funny!!! Yes, we used an oil based paint, we also used a rough brush too for the outer trim. I don't have pics - it was a few years ago at an old house.

smile.png
Dern it! NO pics? Sighs. Okay...I'm a visual learner...so I was hoping for some pics. I'll have to take before/after pics, too...I was hoping to get it done this winter but then realized that we'd have to be painting in the fully enclosed house, unable to open any windows when it's -20 outside
wee.gif
So we'll probably wait until next spring. But that will give me time to find the knobs and maybe cheap countertop materials for hubby, LOL

Quote:
eggzactly.

I WOULD TSP THEM FIRST to get off the oils, cleaners and normal kitchen grime -- otherwise you'll be surprised to see them yellow a bit over time.

What is TSP?

It's a cleanser - non-abrasive. Powder you dissolve in water.

My Aunt painted her dark wood cabinets and they look great. It would definately be easiest if you took the hinges and knobs all completely off before you painted... and if they are stained or veneered you may want to invest in a stripper... the veneer or stain can come through the paint, I have some interior doors that are a bit yellowy from that. Primer is always a good investment.

If you are looking for some pretty decent cheap countertops, home depot is the place. You can get a 10' section probably under $100...precut miters or straight, its what I got for my house. They also have shorter sections. They carry some of the name brand coutertops in a couple stock colors for much cheaper than you can order them, only "problem" is less selection (good for me! it made it less confusing!).

Good Luck!

Another BIG TIP (been there, done that, learned the hard way)

NUMBER your doors and drawers as you remove them. Just a piece of tape on the back side of the door and inside the cooresponding cabinet will work fine.

If you don't match back up the doors with the spot where they came from, you may end up with wacky doors that seem warped and won't close properly. The doors aren't the problem, it's just the hinges don't line up just right from where you took them off if you don't put the doors back in the right spot.

Not that we did that or anything...
roll.png

Oh, and I second the primer route - use the appropriate KILZ primer for the type of top coat you are going to use - ask the paint pros at the local big box home improvement store and they can help you pick the right primer. Using a primer like KILZ will prevent any oils, grease and stains from bleeding through the new paint job and yellowing the paint. Definately worth the extra $$ and time to prime with a KILZ type product.

Last edited:
I've done it a few times and am doing it again for my take out service kitchen. The first time I completely sanded (what a waste of time and big pain in the @$$!!

Now I remove all hardware (clean in hot water and soap solution) sand quickly with med grit, wipe clean, fill any unwanted holes (if you're changing out hardware) use damp sponge to go over wood putty (makes it smooth)
then prime with oil-based primer (tint primer for easier coverage later) two coats of oil or water based top coat (always used at least a semi-gloss)

*you can paint water base over oil base but you don't want to paint oil base over water base*

*I use steel wool in between coats for an extra smooth finish*

This is a great time to add crown molding to the top. It's super easy and really gives the cabinets a more finished look.

Last edited:
Didn't see this mentioned so thought I would mention it. If your trying to save money then you can re-do the hard ware by cleaning it in hot water and soap. Then let dry well and use a spray paint for metals. Works great looks like new and can use colors.

Edited to add that I also watch at yard sales and $ stores for nice wall paper and use that as shelf liners, and the back of the cupboards. Adds a nice finished look and wipes clean with little effort.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom