Painting repurposed wood

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to painting so I need some advice. I found an old door on the curb and rescued it, to use as the human door on my new coop. It has stain on one side, and paint on the other. Both are in really bad shape. With the painted side, I'm guessing I'll have to strip the old paint, then prime and repaint. But what should I do with the stained side? The stain is really soaked into the wood, so it will be hard to get out. Should I just prime+paint on top of the stain? Also, the door has some detail on it, which will make completely stripping the old paint a pain in the butt... How clean do I have to strip it for the new paint to hold? I know the cleaner the better, but... realistically speaking...?

Here's the stained side:
IMG_5219.JPG

And the painted side:
IMG_5237.JPG

I'm no professional painter, but have repainted furniture with some direction from my DH. You could use a stripping agent to take the paint off, or you can sand it down to a smooth surface. I have done both, depending on what I wanted for the outcome. On the stained side, you just need to sand it to make the surface ready to receive paint. It depends on how smooth you want it to be as too how much sanding you do. I use an electric sander for most of the sanding and then hand held sandpaper for grooves and detail.

I would not sand that paint. It is likely to contain lead.
A chemical stripper would be a safer choice.

Take your photos to the paint store and they should be able to help.
Not Lowe's or Home Depot but a store that does just paint type stuff. They will be better educated in what you would need to be safe and efficient.

The stained side could be sanded.

I do question the painted side.....It looks water damaged.

I'm new to painting so I need some advice. I found an old door on the curb and rescued it, to use as the human door on my new coop. It has stain on one side, and paint on the other. Both are in really bad shape. With the painted side, I'm guessing I'll have to strip the old paint, then prime and repaint. But what should I do with the stained side? The stain is really soaked into the wood, so it will be hard to get out. Should I just prime+paint on top of the stain? Also, the door has some detail on it, which will make completely stripping the old paint a pain in the butt... How clean do I have to strip it for the new paint to hold? I know the cleaner the better, but... realistically speaking...?

Here's the stained side:
View attachment 1909865

And the painted side:
View attachment 1909867
You can buy a heat gun and paint scrapper and strip both sides with it. It will take a long time and you have to be very careful around the windows so you don't crack them.
Then lightly sand both sides. I would prime with Zinsser BIN primer. Then you can paint with any good quality exterior grade paint.

Thanks for the ideas! I have a professional respirator mask from having to deal with lead contamination on my property, so I was definitely thinking of wearing that while working on that old door. It looks so old that I would be surprised if the paint *didn't* have lead in it. Hadn't thought of a chemical solvent though, that's a good idea, to avoid sanding altogether.

And yeah, I don't need this to be smooth and pretty at all, it's just a chicken coop. I just want to protect the wood from the elements.

Back
Top Bottom