Painting the coop

We're in the process of building our coop too. The outside has been primed and then painted with exterior paint. I already have the inside primed -- next it will be painted with the exterior paint too. I just think it will be so much easier to clean later.

I chose the "Semi-Gloss" exterior....

So, do I not need to worry about my hens pecking and eating the paint? I was thinking I'd need to find some sort of non-toxic, animal-friendly paint to use, but it sounds like everyone is just using regular ol' exterior paint for both the exterior and interior of their coops. ???

Wouldn't linolium be too slippery for the chickens? I was thinking of linolium on the walls and maybe the floor, with a barn mat on the floor so they don't slip.

Put a few inches of bedding on top, and it will be fine.

In my first coop, built in 2011 I used Benjamin Moore Impervo Satin, same exact paint I used in my house for the trim, it has been bomber! It is easy to clean, does not flake or chip and still looks great after all these years. We are in the process of completing a new coop & used exactly the same paint for the interior of the new coop, it looks great! I used it on the poop board and the lower 1/2 of the coop walls. I highly recommend it!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/round-wood-forest-coop.75937/

Here is a picture of the interior of the original coop. It is a very small coop, the entire interior was painted, including the floor. I used a snow shovel to scrape the shaving out periodically when the coop was cleaned.
2011-05-27 005.jpg

Before I assembled my coop, based on all the good info on this site I did a couple of things:
Installed Linolium on floor of coop &
completly coated all exposed wood with 3 coats of Gloss
polyurethane, let cure for a month before exposing to the girls.
so much easier to clean and disinfect
Hope that helps someone

Back
Top Bottom