painting the inside

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chick'n'run, Mar 8, 2009.

1. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    so i was planning with my dad for my coop-to-be, and i said we needed to paint it too, inside and out. He said that it was fine to paint the outside, but he didn't think we needed to paint the inside.
    What do i do?

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    It's what you prefer. I like it painted. I guess I feel I sealed the wood a bit so that mites can't hide as well. Looks nicer. Maybe lasts longer. I'm sure plenty have unpainted coops and do well.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It looks nicer to have it painted inside, but it's not necessary.

Perhaps your dad is thinking about the cost of painting both indoors and out. If you aren't too particular about color, you can often get cans of "mistake" paint very inexpensively from a hardware store. Try looking at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore store, too, if you have one in your area.

4. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I would paint with a semigloss shiny bathroom type paint. Much easier to wipe down if need be. Also helps seal the walls.

sandyj

5. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    oh, we have lots of paint here
    i'll tell my dad

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Prime first. If you have paint, then for sure do the interior. It will be so much easier to keep clean. If you buy paint, get exterior grade, preferably in a semi-gloss. It holds up to weather fluxuation and will be much sturdier. Make sure you do the floor too. But seriously, prime first.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What CityChook said. It is MUCH EASIER to get poo off of painted than nekkid plywood. I'd use semigloss, preferably some sort of light color to brighten the interior of the coop for the chickens' benefit. Prime first!!

Have fun,

Pat

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Years back we did not paint due to the lead in the paint. But now the paint is safer and I too think it would clean better if it is gloss or semigloss. Jean

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    That's totally up to you. It will look cuter if it's painted on the inside, but not neccessayry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by